Support Asian exhibitions and programs by joining VisAsia
With an ever-growing interest in the artistic traditions of our Asian neighbours, VisAsia works collaboratively with the Art Gallery of NSW to bring a diverse range of traditional and contemporary Asian art to the Australian public and the Gallery’s international visitors.
VisAsia, the Australian Institute of Asian Culture and Visual Arts, was established in 1999. Managed by a board of directors, it includes the VisAsia Council and individual VisAsia membership.
Supporting exhibitions and education
VisAsia’s funds are directed towards two main support areas: exhibitions and education.
The Art Gallery of NSW has a distinguished reputation for outstanding Asian art exhibitions. Many are of international significance and are often showcased in conjunction with partner museums across Asia. The diverse and stimulating exhibition program presents not only some of the most challenging contemporary Asian art being made, but also intimate and delicate Asian antiquities.
- Tezuka: the marvel of Manga (2007)
- The lost Buddhas: Chinese Buddhist sculpture from QingZhou (2008)
- Garden and cosmos: the royal paintings of Jodhpur (2009–10)
- Kamisaka Sekka: dawn of modern Japanese design (2012)
- Conversations through the Asian collections (2014–16)
- Tang 唐: treasures from the Silk Road capital (2016)
- Beyond words: calligraphic traditions of Asia (2016–17)
- Passion and procession: art of the Philippines (2017)
In the area of education, Asian art lecture series, events, teaching programs and tours deepen the public’s engagement with exhibitions and the Gallery’s Asian art collection.
With the University of Sydney’s China Studies Centre and The Power Institute, and with support from the Art Gallery of NSW and Sydney Ideas, VisAsia proudly co-presents the Sydney Asian Art Series.
Give your support
Two levels of VisAsia support are available.
VisAsia supporters commit to a donation of $1800 per year for four consecutive years. In this amount, $300 of your donation will be directed to the Art Gallery of NSW Foundation’s endowment fund for acquisitions.
Exclusive privileges for VisAsia supporters include:
- exclusive private viewings of Asian exhibitions at the Gallery with curators and artists
- invitations to Asian exhibition openings
- invitation to the official opening of the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes
- complimentary quarterly copies of TAASA Review on request
By donating $1800 per year, VisAsia supporters also enjoy the benefits of the Art Gallery of NSW Foundation patrons, which include:
- invitations to at least four private viewings annually of major exhibitions at the Gallery
- invitations to selected Gallery official openings
- name acknowledgement on the honour board outside the Gallery Shop
- Foundation newsletter (two printed and two e-newsletter per year)
Contact VisAsia for more information or to join (right).