- Other Title
- Still life with fruit
- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas
- 50.8 x 56.0 cm stretcher; 67.6 x 72.5 x 5.5 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, grey oil "M PRESTON/ 1926".
- Bequest of Adrian Feint 1972
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Margaret Rose Preston Estate. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Where the work was made
Shown in 9 exhibitions
A group of modern painters, Grosvenor Gallery, Sydney, 25 Nov 1926–07 Dec 1926
Margaret Preston and William Dobell loan exhibition (1942), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Mar 1942–16 Apr 1942
Contemporary Australian art, Auckland City Art Gallery, Auckland, May 1960–Jun 1960
Margaret Preston: the art of constant rearrangement, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 27 Dec 1985–09 Feb 1986
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Margaret Preston in Mosman, Mosman Art Gallery, Mosman, 07 Sep 2002–13 Oct 2002
Margaret Preston retrospective:
Cuisine and country: a culinary venture in Australian Art:
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 06 Apr 2007–20 May 2007
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 08 Jun 2007–22 Jul 2007
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Mornington 28 Aug 2007–21 Oct 2007
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 26 Oct 2007–09 Dec 2007
- Riddoch Art Gallery, Mt Gambier 15 Dec 2007–15 Feb 2008
- Broken Hill City Art Gallery, Broken Hill 26 Mar 2008–05 May 2008
- Manly Art Gallery and Museum, Manly 16 May 2008–15 Jun 2008
- Cairns Art Gallery, Cairns 01 Jul 2008–15 Aug 2008
- Artspace Mackay, Queensland 31 Aug 2008–30 Sep 2008
Sydney Moderns, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Jul 2013–07 Oct 2013
Referenced in 12 publications
Elizabeth Butel, Margaret Preston: the art of constant rearrangement, Ringwood, 1985, 41 (colour illus.), 84. cat.no. O.6
Paula Dredge, Margaret Sawicki, Steven Miller and Lindsay Parker, S.A. Parker Framing Works, 'Works in the collection with known Parker frames', pg. 27-68, Sydney, 2004, 59 (illus.).
Deborah Edwards and Rose Peel, Margaret Preston: Catalogue raisonné of paintings, monotypes and ceramics, Sydney, 2005, (colour illus.). Artworks: paintings 1926.
Deborah Edwards, Margaret Preston, 'Transitions 1920s', pg. 61-150, Sydney, 2005, 2, 3 (colour illus.), 122, 116, 117 (colour illus.), 283.
Grosvenor Gallery, A group of modern painters, Sydney, 1926. cat.no. 15; titled 'Still life'; NFS
Mervyn Horton (Editor), Art and Australia [series 5, vol. 1, no. 2], Sydney, Aug 1963, 95 (colour illus.).
John McDonald, Australian painters of the twentieth century, 'Margaret Preston', pg. 16-27, Sydney, 2000, 20 (colour illus.).
National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Margaret Preston and William Dobell loan exhibition, Sydney, 1942, 9. cat.no. 27; titled 'Still life with fruit'; Lent by Adrian Feint
Vicki Peterson and Tim Spong, Food combining: food combining for dynamic energy, weight loss and vitality at any age, Birchgrove, 1990, front cover (colour illus.).
Sydney Ure Smith and Leon Gellert (Editors), Art in Australia [series 3, no. 22], Sydney, Dec 1927, (colour illus.). Margaret Preston Number; plate no. 11
Gavin Wilson, Cuisine & country: a gastronomic venture in Australian art, 'Cuisine & Country', pg. 9-66, New South Wales, 2008, 4 (colour illus.), 88.
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Home annual: Australian life and scenery, Sydney, Oct 1935, 29 (colour illus.). titled 'Flowers and fruit'
Other works by Margaret Preston
See all 121 works