- (circa 1927)
- Media category
- Materials used
- woodcut, printed in black ink, hand coloured with gouache on thick cream laid Japanese paper
- 3rd proof from an unknown edition, hand coloured
- 29.6 x 29.2 cm blockmark; 40.9 x 33.4 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed in block to print l.l., incised "M.P.".
Signed l.r. beneath blockmark, pencil "Margaret Preston". Not dated.
- Purchased 1976
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Margaret Rose Preston Estate. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Margaret Preston: the art of constant rearrangement, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 27 Dec 1985–09 Feb 1986
Cover up: the art of magazine covers in Australia:
- Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney 19 May 1995–13 Aug 1995
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 31 Aug 1995–08 Oct 1995
- National Library of Australia, Canberra 26 Oct 1995–31 Oct 1996
Margaret Preston in Mosman, Mosman Art Gallery, Mosman, 07 Sep 2002–13 Oct 2002
Margaret Preston retrospective:
Sydney Moderns, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Jul 2013–07 Oct 2013
Referenced in 8 publications
Paul Brobbel, Wystan Curnow and Roger Horrocks (Editors), The long dream of waking: New perspectives on Len Lye, Christchurch, 2017, 89, 90 (colour illus.), 212.
Elizabeth Butel, Margaret Preston: the art of constant rearrangement, Ringwood, 1985, 88. cat.no. P.20
Roger Arthur Butler, The prints of Margaret Preston: a catalogue raisonné, Canberra, 2005, 142 (colour illus.). cat.no. 121
Roger Arthur Butler, The prints of Margaret Preston: a catalogue raisonné, Canberra, 1987, 132 (colour illus.). cat.no. 121
Deborah Edwards, Margaret Preston, 'Transitions 1920s', pg. 61-150, Sydney, 2005, 80, 82, 85 (colour illus.).
Denise Mimmocchi, Sydney moderns: art for a new world, 'Still-life as laboratory table', pg. 198-213, Sydney, 2013, 203 (colour illus.), 315, 323.
Susannah Smith, Look, 'Women's work: their diverse and significant contribution to the modernist art scene', pg. 13-15, Sydney, Aug 2013, 14.
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Home: an Australian quarterly, Sydney, Feb 1928, front cover (colour illus.). titled 'Australian Flowers and Fruit'
Other works by Margaret Preston
See all 121 works