What you need to know before visiting
The Art Gallery of New South Wales is committed to protecting the health of our visitors, members, volunteers and staff and minimising the spread of COVID-19.
We ask our visitors to refrain from visiting the Gallery if required to stay home under public health orders.
Visitors are required to provide their name and contact details on arrival at the Gallery to support contact tracing in line with NSW Health rules and our COVID-Safe plan. Visitors to our cafe or restaurant are required to register for a second time in line with NSW Health requirements.
We will continue to monitor the advice of NSW Health accordingly and update our guidance as appropriate. Thank you for helping us continue to keep our visitors and staff safe by following these guidelines.
Gallery opening hours
Open daily 10am to 5pm
Until 9pm Wednesdays
Closed Good Friday (2 April 2021) and Christmas Day (25 December)
Entry is free
Tickets are NOT required for general entry and most displays and exhibitions (subject to any changes from NSW Government health guidelines).
Tickets are required for a few paid exhibitions. More information and bookings
We are also offering online events
And we’re open late on Wednesdays for Art After Hours
Cloaking facilities are closed, and the library, archive and study room are also temporarily closed due to building works. The restaurant is scheduled to reopen on 3 March.
Ways to provide your contact details
We’ll need to have a name and phone number for each person visiting the Gallery. When you arrive, use your smartphone camera to scan the QR code displayed at the Gallery entrance, open the link to the Service NSW check-in, and follow the instructions. Show the confirmation screen to our staff as you enter.
If you don’t have access to a smartphone, our staff will make a record of your contact details.
What else we’re asking you to do
- Wear a face mask while in the Gallery’s Domain Theatre. Masks are also strongly recommended when visiting the rest of the Gallery.
- Download the Service NSW app before visiting, for easy QR check-in.
- Bring a credit or debit card for any on-site purchases (we won’t be accepting cash).
- Bring a water bottle (we’ve turned off the drinking fountains/bubblers).
- Avoid bringing large bags (you’ll have to carry any bag at your side or on your front).
- Don’t visit in a large group.
- Don’t visit if you’re unwell or, if in the last 14 days, you have experienced cold or flu symptoms, returned from overseas or been the close contact of an identified COVID case.
- Before you visit, check NSW Health’s list of locations where COVID cases have been.
- Consider downloading the Australian Government’s COVIDSafe app.
At the Gallery
- Follow any requests or instructions from our staff.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided on arrival and before entering a ticketed event in the theatre.
- Cloak your umbrella yourself in the stands provided.
- Keep at least 1.5 metres distance from others at all times, including while in queues.
- Wait in a marked queue or go elsewhere if a particular space has too many people.
- Allow less-mobile visitors to use elevators first, or consider using the stairs or escalators.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, and put the tissue in a bin.
- Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds in our restrooms.
- Please don’t touch the artworks.
Visitors with access requirements can still use ramps and lifts, and borrow the Gallery’s wheelchairs or mobility scooters which are sanitised after each use.
For ticketed events
- Pre-book your ticket as seats are limited.
- Arrive 15-30 minutes before the start time so you can be seated safely.
- Have your ticket ready for presenting at the theatre door or event entrance. Only ticket holders are permitted to enter.
- Wear a face mask while in the Domain Theatre. You can bring your own, buy one at the Gallery Shop or we’ll provide one if required at the theatre door.
The NSW Government strongly recommends the use of face masks, especially where distancing is difficult. In line with NSW Public Health Orders, the Domain Theatre is seated at up to 75% capacity and you may be seated near someone who is not in your group, which is why we ask all visitors to wear a mask while in the theatre. Some members of the community may have issues with wearing masks, and we ask that you be respectful to others as reasons for not wearing a mask are not always obvious.
Visitors who don’t comply with these conditions will not be admitted or will be asked to leave to ensure the safety of all.
What we’re doing for you
- There are separate entry and exit doors, floor markings and signage to help visitors maintain safe distances.
- There are limits on the number of visitors overall and each Gallery space has its maximum capacity, based on current NSW Health guidelines. Please follow directions on signage and instructions from staff.
- We’ve removed some seating in exhibition spaces to give visitors more space to move. Folding chairs are still available from the information desk.
- There are limits on the number of visitors at ticketed events.
- We’re cleaning frequently with hospital-grade disinfectants, including disinfecting all hard surfaces in the theatre between events, and high-touch items are sanitised after each use.
- We’ve provided hand sanitisers at the Gallery entry and at various places throughout the building.
- All Gallery officers are trained in COVID-safe first aid.
- We will continue to be guided by the NSW Government’s health guidelines and will provide updates to this information.
We look forward to seeing you at the Gallery soon.