What you need to know before visiting
The Art Gallery of NSW is open from 10am to 5pm daily.
Entry is free. Tickets are NOT required for general entry (subject to any changes from NSW Government health guidelines).
To help keep everyone safe, please read the following information before visiting the Gallery.
- Exhibitions and displays
- Members lounge
- Gallery Shop
- Library and archive – by appointment
- Study room – by appointment
Cloaking facilities and Chiswick at the Gallery restaurant.
There are presently no tours and events, and no late-night Wednesday openings for Art After Hours.
What we’re asking you to do
- Provide your name and contact details if requested (such as at the Gallery cafe) to support contact tracing.
- Bring a credit or debit card for any on-site purchases (we won’t be accepting cash).
- Bring a water bottle (we’ve turned off the drinking fountains/bubblers).
- Avoid bringing large bags (you’ll have to carry any bag at your side or on your front).
- Don’t visit in a large group.
- Don’t visit if you’re unwell, have experienced cold or flu symptoms in the last 14 days, or have returned from overseas in the last 14 days.
- Keep up to date with NSW Health advisories about COVID-19, including outbreaks.
- Consider downloading the COVIDSafe app.
At the Gallery
- Use the hand-sanitiser provided on arrival.
- Cloak your umbrella yourself in the stands provided.
- Keep at least 1.5 metres distance from others at all times.
- Wait in a marked queue or go elsewhere if a particular space has too many people.
- Allow less-mobile visitors to use elevators first, or consider using the stairs or escalators.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, and put the tissue in a bin.
- Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds in our restrooms.
- Please don’t touch the artworks.
Visitors with access requirements can still use ramps and lifts, and borrow the Gallery’s wheelchairs or mobility scooters which are sanitised after each use.
Visitors who don’t comply with these conditions will not be admitted or will be asked to leave to ensure the safety of all.
What we’re doing for you
- There are separate entry and exit doors, floor markings and signage to help visitors maintain safe distances.
- There are limits on the number of visitors overall and each Gallery space has its maximum capacity, based on the rule of 1 person per 4 square metres. Please follow instructions from staff.
- We’ve removed some seating in exhibition spaces to give visitors more space to move. Folding chairs are still available from the information desk.
- We’re cleaning frequently with hospital-grade disinfectants, and high-touch items are sanitised after each use.
- We’ve provided hand sanitisers at the Gallery entry and at various places throughout the building.
- All Gallery officers are trained in COVID-safe first aid.
- We will continue to be guided by the NSW Government’s health guidelines and will provide updates to this information.
We look forward to seeing you at the Gallery soon.