- circa 1954
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on hardboard
- 54.6 x 81.3 cm board; 64.3 x 91.0 x 6.5 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, yellow oil "J Bellette". Not dated.
- Purchased 1954
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Bathurst Regional Council
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Women's achievements in the arts, David Jones' Art Gallery, Sydney, Sydney, 31 Aug 1960–09 Sep 1960
Australian Painting: Colonial, Impressionist, Contemporary (1962-63):
Favourites: Margaret Olley and Jeffrey Smart (2002), S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 12 Jan 2002–24 Feb 2002
Jean Bellette retrospective (2004-2005):
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 10 Dec 2004–16 Jan 2005
- S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks 12 Mar 2005–15 Apr 2005
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane 06 May 2005–12 Jun 2005
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Mornington 12 Jul 2005–28 Aug 2005
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 10 Nov 2005–18 Dec 2005
Cuisine and country: a culinary venture in Australian Art:
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 06 Apr 2007–20 May 2007
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 08 Jun 2007–22 Jul 2007
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Mornington 28 Aug 2007–21 Oct 2007
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 26 Oct 2007–09 Dec 2007
- Riddoch Art Gallery, Mt Gambier 15 Dec 2007–15 Feb 2008
- Broken Hill City Art Gallery, Broken Hill 26 Mar 2008–05 May 2008
- Manly Art Gallery and Museum, Manly 16 May 2008–15 Jun 2008
- Cairns Art Gallery, Cairns 01 Jul 2008–15 Aug 2008
- Artspace Mackay, Queensland 31 Aug 2008–30 Sep 2008
Referenced in 10 publications
Dinah Dysart, Art Monthly Australia, 'Footnotes matter: Jean Bellette retrospective', pg. 31-34, Canberra, Jun 2005, 31 (colour illus.). Review of Jean Bellette Retrospective.
Christine France, Amanda Beresford and Barbara Hall, Jean Bellette retrospective, Sydney, 2004, 46 (colour illus.), 72.
John McDonald, The Sydney Morning Herald, 'The art of enigma', pg. 19, Sydney, 02 Apr 2005-03 Apr 2005, 19 (colour illus.). Review of Jean Bellette Retrospective in Spectrum section.
Hal Missingham, The studio, 'Recent Australian Painting', pg. 33-41, 63, London, Feb 1957, 34 (illus.).
National Council of Women, An exhibition of women's achievements in the arts, New South Wales, 1960. cat.no. 47; titled 'Still life'; Kindly lent by the AGNSW
Margaret Olley and Jeffrey Smart, Favourites: Margaret Olley and Jeffrey Smart selections, Sydney, 2002. NOTE: No catalogue numbers; Margaret Olley selection.
Catherine Stuart and Paul Finucane, Odd roads to be walking: 156 women who shaped Australian art, Cork, 2019, 229 (colour illus.).
Jill Sykes (Editor), Look, Sydney, Apr 2005, 35 (colour illus.).
Clive Turnbull, Jean Campbell and Daniel Thomas AM, Australian painting: colonial, impressionist, contemporary, Adelaide, 1962, 41. cat.no. 62
Gavin Wilson, Cuisine & country: a gastronomic venture in Australian art, 'Cuisine & Country', pg. 9-66, New South Wales, 2008, 22, 27 (colour illus.), 87.
Other works by Jean Bellette
See more works