- Place where the work was made
- Media category
- Materials used
- synthetic polymer paint on hardboard
- 122.5 x 154.0 cm board; 137.3 x 167.0 x 4.5 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, blue paint "N".
Signed and dated verso, "... 1959/ Feb 18th 1959/ N./ ...".
- Purchased with funds provided by the Art Gallery Society of New South Wales 2001
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © The Trustees of the Sidney Nolan Trust/DACS. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
One of the most famous of Nolan's European landscapes, this work was the result of a visit he and his wife made in 1956 to the island of Hydra, where they lived for several months. Its idyllic luminosity reflects their brief but happy period there, despite the fact that Nolan was already planning his dark and troubling Gallipoli series; stimulated by a meeting with Australian writer Alan Moorehead, living on the neighbouring island of Spetsai whilst writing his major study on the subject.
Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2001
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Sidney Nolan retrospective exhibition. Paintings from 1937 to 1967:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 13 Sep 1967–29 Oct 1967
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 22 Nov 1967–17 Dec 1967
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 09 Jan 1968–04 Feb 1968
Sidney Nolan: landscapes and legends a retrospective exhibition 1937 - 1987:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 03 Jun 1987–26 Jul 1987
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 11 Aug 1987–27 Sep 1987
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 21 Oct 1987–29 Nov 1987
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 15 Dec 1987–31 Jan 1988
Nolan's Nolans: a reputation reassessed, Agnew's, London, London, 11 Jun 1997–25 Jul 1997
Referenced in 10 publications
Brian Adams, Sidney Nolan: such is life, Melbourne, 1987, 134. General reference to landscapes made on Hydra
Jane Clark, Sidney Nolan - landscapes and legends: a retrospective exhibition 1937 - 1987, 'Europe and America', pg. 115-117, Sydney, 1987, 129 (colour illus.).
Nicholas Isherwood, Nolan's Nolans: a reputation reassessed, London, 1997, 59, 60 (colour illus.). cat.no. 60; price £55,000
Bruce James, The Sydney Morning Herald, 'Pick of the crop for wily Capon: Gallery acquisitions analysis', pg. 16, Sydney, 12 Apr 2001, 16.
Patrick McCaughey (Editor), Bert & Ned: the correspondence of Albert Tucker and Sidney Nolan, Carlton, 2006, 185 (colour illus.).
Hal Missingham, Sidney Nolan. Retrospective exhibition. Paintings from 1937 to 1967, 'Introduction', pg. 5-8, Sydney, 1967, 22. cat.no. 97
Bryan Robertson, John Russell and Lord Snowdon, Private view: the lively world of British art, London, 1965, 70-71 (colour illus.).
T.G. Rosenthal, Sidney Nolan, 'Nolan the nomad', pg. 172-187, London, 2002, 177 (colour illus.), 178.
Jill Sykes (Editor), Look, 'Important purchases: what the Society and Contempo bought for the Gallery in 2001', pg. 16-17, Melbourne, Dec 2001-Jan 2002, 16, 17 (colour illus.).
Bronwyn Watson, Look, 'Nolan boost', pg. 18-19, Melbourne, Jun 2001, 18 (colour illus.), 19.
Other works by Sidney Nolan
See more works