- Other Titles
- The harbour from McMahons Point
McMahons Point, Sydney
The harbour from McMahon's Point
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas
- 77.2 x 99.7 cm stretcher; 103.9 x 125.9 x 8.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l. corner, red oil "L REES/ 50".
- Purchased 1950
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © A&J Rees. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Wynne Prize
- Winner - 1950
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Rees described his first impressions of Sydney as he arrived by ship through the Heads in 1916.
'When ... the ship cleared the great cliffs of North Head and the harbour spread itself before me with all its bays and vistas, its sculptured foreshores and russet green vegetation, and later its buildings caught in the golden light with rows and rows of them defining the contours of the hills, and the whole bathed in opalescence of colour never previously seen - is it any wonder that Sydney then and there entered my heart never to leave it again ... In that first long look Sydney cast her spell and its has remained with me ever since ...'
- Lloyd Rees 1969
Rees' drawings of the 1930s focused almost exclusively on the harbour as subject, and he had to negotiate many difficulties in his attempts to achieve comparable revelations in his paintings. He won the 1950 Wynne Prize for landscape painting with 'The harbour from McMahon's Point'. Upon receiving it he said, 'I noticed particularly that my pictures were getting lower and lower in tone … as pictures they wouldn't come forward ...I suddenly thought - that was it, you must use more white. So I ... decided on titanium. This brought about a terrific change at once.'
This painting won the Wynne Prize in 1950 and was acquired by the Gallery in 1950.
Shown in 15 exhibitions
Society of Artists Annual Exhibition (1950), Education Department Gallery [Loftus Street], Sydney, 02 Sep 1950–20 Sep 1950
Archibald, Wynne Sulman Competitions for 1950, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 20 Jan 1951–04 Mar 1951
Jubilee exhibition of Australian art:
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 12 Mar 1951–31 Mar 1951
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 09 Apr 1951–28 Apr 1951
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 25 Jun 1951–21 Jul 1951
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 06 Aug 1951–01 Sep 1951
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 24 Sep 1951–20 Oct 1951
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 12 Nov 1951–10 Dec 1951
Twelve Australian Artists:
- Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, Bath 05 Sep 1953–26 Sep 1953
- City of Bradford Art Gallery, Bradford 03 Oct 1953–24 Oct 1953
- Derby Art Gallery, Derby 05 Dec 1953–26 Dec 1953
- City Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol, Bristol 02 Jan 1954–23 Jan 1954
- City of Belfast Museum and Art Gallery, Northern Ireland 30 Jan 1954–20 Feb 1954
- New Burlington Galleries, London 12 Jul 1954–22 Aug 1954
Sydney Harbour: an exhibition to mark the 175th anniversary of the founding of Australia (1963), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 30 Oct 1963–19 Nov 1963
Lloyd Rees Retrospective (1969-70):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 02 Oct 1969–02 Nov 1969
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane Nov 1969–Dec 1969
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 01 Feb 1970–28 Feb 1970
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 17 Mar 1970–13 Apr 1970
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 01 May 1970–31 May 1970
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 18 Jun 1970–21 Jul 1970
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 01 Aug 1970–31 Aug 1970
Fifteen decades of Australian painting:
The Artist and the City:
The Wynne prize: an Australian landscape tradition (1987):
- S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks 19 Dec 1986–01 Feb 1987
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 06 Mar 1987–29 Mar 1987
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 10 Apr 1987–17 May 1987
- Griffith Regional Art Gallery 03 Jun 1987–20 Jun 1987
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 01 Jul 1987–26 Jul 1987
- Albury Regional Gallery, Albury 07 Aug 1987–06 Sep 1987
- Broken Hill City Art Gallery, Broken Hill 18 Sep 1987–26 Oct 1987
- Tamworth City Gallery, Tamworth 05 Nov 1987–13 Dec 1987
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Affinities: Brett Whiteley & Lloyd Rees (2001), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 10 Feb 2001–08 Jul 2001
Sydney by ferry, Museum of Sydney, Sydney, 13 Apr 2002–04 Aug 2002
Whiteley & Rees: more affinities (2006):
Harbourlife: Sydney Harbour from the 1940s to recent times:
Destination Sydney, Manly Art Gallery and Museum, Manly, 05 Dec 2015–14 Feb 2016
Referenced in 35 publications
Clary Akon, Limelight Magazine, 'Nature by design: the art of Lloyd Rees', pg. 96-97, Sydney, Jun 2013, 96.
Christopher Allen, The Weekend Australian, 'Tangible Life Forms', pg. 12-13, Sydney, 01 Jun 2013-02 Jun 2013, 13 (colour illus.).
Art Gallery of New South Wales, Lloyd Rees Retrospective, ‘Catalogue: paintings’, pg. 25-32, Sydney, 1969, 28. titled 'The harbour from McMahons Point'; cat.no. 43
Giles Auty, The Weekend Australian, 'Reflections on a nation's image', pg. 4, Sydney, 12 Aug 2000-13 Aug 2000, 4 (colour illus.). This colour supplement is a 'Review Special' published for the 'Weekend Australian'. It consists of a four-page, colour wrap-around for the 'Weekend Australian Review'. 'The Australian' was the media sponsor for the AGNSW Exhibition 'Australian Icons', for the Olympic Arts Festival 2000.
Helen Campbell, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Out of Sydney: city and hinterlands', pg. 185-186, Sydney, 2000, 197 (colour illus.), 301.
Helen Campbell, Wynne centenary 1897-1997: a selection of past winners from the Gallery's collection, Sydney, 1997, (colour illus.).
Rob Ditessa', Artist's palette, 'Icons on show', pg. 54-59, Sydney, 2000, 56 (colour illus.).
Steve Dow, The (Sydney) Magazine, 'Lloyd Rees', Sydney, 22 Feb 2013.
Douglas Dundas, Art Gallery of New South Wales quarterly, 'The Wynne and Sulman prizes', pg. 53-56, Sydney, Jan 1961, 55 (illus.).
Dinah Dysart, The Wynne prize: an Australian landscape tradition, 'The public and critical response to the Wynne prize', pg. 15-22, Sydney, 1986, 2 (illus.), 22, 26.
F.L., The Sydney Morning Herald, 'Prize-winning paintings in Archibald and Wynne contests', pg. 3, Sydney, 20 Jan 1951, 3 (illus.).
Bruce James, Art Gallery of New South Wales handbook, 'Australian collection: painting and sculpture', pg. 102-181, Sydney, 1999, 158 (colour illus.).
Lou Klepac, Affinities: Brett Whiteley & Lloyd Rees, 'Introduction', pg. 2-4, Sydney, 2001, 5 (colour illus.), 8.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Lloyd Rees Drawings - Centenary Retrospective, 'Introduction', pg. 7-19, Sydney, 1995, 14.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, ‘Celebrating Lloyd Rees: a book and show on the Gallery’s collection of his work’, pg. 21-23, Sydney, Mar 2013, 22.
Brian Ladd and Alan Krell, The Artist & the City, Sydney, 1983, 12, 14 (colour illus.). cat.no. 22
Elwyn Lynn, The Australian landscape and its artists, ‘Artists and paintings’, pg. 5-6, Rushcutters Bay, 1977, 6, 92, 94 (colour illus.).
Sandra McGrath, Sydney Harbour Paintings from 1794, Milton, 1979, 58.
Hal Missingham, Pix, ‘Australian art no. 13: ‘The harbour from McMahon’s Point’ (by Lloyd Rees)’, pg. 31, Sydney, 09 Dec 1967, 31 (illus.).
National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Purchases and Acquisitions for 1950, Sydney, 1951, 8. cat.no. 29
Lloyd O’Neil., Classic Australian paintings, ‘Lloyd Rees’, South Yarra, 1983, n.pag. (colour illus.). plate no. 50
Barry Pearce., Fifteen decades of Australian paintings, ‘List of works’, Sydney, 1981, cover (colour illus.). titled ‘The Harbour from McMahon’s Point’; cat.no. 13
Renee Renée, Lloyd Rees, ‘Sydney: 1917-42’, pg. 23-50, Melbourne, 1972, 62, 124. cat.no. O137
Arnold Shore, The Studio, ‘Contemporary Australian painting’, pg. 145-153, London, May 1953, 147 (illus.). titled ‘McMahons Point, Sydney’
William Splatt and Barbara Burton, 100 masterpieces of Australian painting, Adelaide, 1973, 170, 171 (colour illus.). plate no. 82
Michael Stutchbury (Editor), The Australian Financial Review, 'Illustrating love of landscapes', pg. L3, Melbourne, 19 Apr 2013-21 Apr 2013, L3 (colour illus.).
Nicola Teffer, Rosie Nice and Caroline Mackaness (Curators), Sydney by ferry, Sydney, 2002, 7.
Martin Terry, Masterpieces of Australian Painting, ‘Lloyd Rees’, pg. 112-115, Sydney, 1984, 114-115 (colour illus.).
The Brett Whiteley Studio, Whiteley & Rees: More affinities, Sydney, 2005, (illus.). List of works
Daniel Thomas., Sydney Harbour, 'Introduction', Sydney, 1963. cat.no. 46
Laurie Thomas (Editor), Jubilee exhibition of Australian art, Sydney, 1951, 47. cat.no. 146
Roland Wakelin, Art Gallery of New South Wales Quarterly, 'The artistic development of Lloyd Rees', pg. 490-492, Sydney, Oct 1969, 501 (illus.). 'Lloyd Rees special number'
Judith White (Editor), Look, 'Australian visions', pg. 12, Melbourne, Aug 2000, 12 (colour illus.).
Gavin Wilson, Harbourlife, 'Harbourlife', pg. 7-32, Sydney, 2007, 56, 14-15, 15 (colour illus.).
1951 Archibald Prize illustrated, Sydney, 1951. cat.no. 43
Other works by Lloyd Rees
See more works