22 Apr 1917 - 28 Nov 1992
This work was a finalist in the 1949 Wynne Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1949.
Ripolin enamel on hardboard
91.6 x 121.9 cm board; 88.7 x 119.0 sight; 107.4 x 137.2 x 4.2 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, pencil "nolan/ 25-5-48".
Not on display
Where the work was made
Shown in 7 exhibitions
Sidney Nolan: Queensland outback paintings (1949), David Jones' Art Gallery, Sydney, Sydney, 08 Mar 1949–22 Mar 1949
Twelve Australian Artists:
- Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, Bath 05 Sep 1953–26 Sep 1953
- City of Bradford Art Gallery, Bradford 03 Oct 1953–24 Oct 1953
- Derby Art Gallery, Derby 05 Dec 1953–26 Dec 1953
- City Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol, Bristol 02 Jan 1954–23 Jan 1954
- City of Belfast Museum and Art Gallery, Northern Ireland 30 Jan 1954–20 Feb 1954
- New Burlington Galleries, London 12 Jul 1954–22 Aug 1954
Contemporary Australian Painters (1957):
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, Canada Jul 1957–Sep 1957
- London Public Library and Art Museum, Canada Sep 1957–Oct 1957
- Art Gallery of Hamilton, Ontario Oct 1957–Nov 1957
- The Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery, Canada Nov 1957–Dec 1957
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ottawa Dec 1957–Jan 1958
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Canada Feb 1958–Mar 1958
- The Art Gallery of Toronto, Toronto Apr 1958 -
- The Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery, Regina College, Canada May 1958 -
Sidney Nolan retrospective exhibition. Paintings from 1937 to 1967:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 13 Sep 1967–29 Oct 1967
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 22 Nov 1967–17 Dec 1967
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 09 Jan 1968–04 Feb 1968
Two centuries of Australian painting, a selection from the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange, 19 Apr 1986–15 Jun 1986
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Referenced in 11 publications
Michaela Boland., The Australian, 'Sidney Nolan work takes wing, after 65 years', Sydney, 19 Jul 2013, n.pag.. viewed 31.07.2013, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/visual-arts/sidney-nolan-work-takes-wing-after-65-years/story-fn9d3avm-1226681642885
Deborah Edwards, Two centuries of Australian painting: a selection from the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Introduction', pg. 8-14, Sydney, 1986, 39 (illus.). cat.no. 42
James Gleeson., Sun, 'Gallery purchases for 1949', Sydney, 19 Dec 1949.
Art Critic (Paul Haefliger)., The Sydney Morning Herald, 'An exhibition that merits compliments', Sydney, 20 Dec 1949.
Tatlock Miller., Sun, 'Amazing impact by Australian artist', Sydney, 08 Mar 1949. Review of Nolan's exhibition of outback paintings held at David Jones' Art Gallery.
Unknown and Hal Missingham, One hundred years of Australian landscape painting: Art Gallery of New South Wales Travelling Art Exhibition 1968, Sydney, 1968, 22 (illus.). cat.no. 23
Hal Missingham, They kill you in the end, 'Trustees', pg. 24-44, Sydney, 1973, 28.
Laurence Thomas., Contemporary Australian painters, 'Foreword', Ottawa, 1957, (illus.). cat.no. 45; illus.no. 12
Laurence Thomas, Twelve Australian artists, 'Introduction', pg. 6-10, London, 1953, 14. cat.no. 21
Unknown, A selection of eighty-two reproductions mainly from the Australian collection and including examples from the British, French and Dutch [Art Gallery of New South Wales], Sydney, 1959, (illus.). plate no. 37
Sidney Nolan: Exhibition of Queensland outback paintings, Sydney, 1949. cat. no. 10; priced 65 guineas