- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on paper on hardboard
- 59.5 x 75.5 cm board; 76.8 x 92.1 x 9.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, red oil "JB". Not dated.
- Purchased 1944
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Accession number
- © Bathurst Regional Council
- Sir John Sulman Prize
- - 1944
- Artist information
Works in the collection
This work was a finalist in the 1944 Sulman Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1944.
Shown in 7 exhibitions
Society of Artists Annual Exhibition (1944), Education Department Gallery [Loftus Street], Sydney, 19 Aug 1944–07 Sep 1944
Contemporary Australian painting from the National collection, Exhibition Venue Unknown, 1946–1950
Jubilee exhibition of Australian art:
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 12 Mar 1951–31 Mar 1951
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 09 Apr 1951–28 Apr 1951
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 25 Jun 1951–21 Jul 1951
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 06 Aug 1951–01 Sep 1951
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 24 Sep 1951–20 Oct 1951
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 12 Nov 1951–10 Dec 1951
Contemporary Australian Painting - Pacific Loan Exhibition (1956), Orient Lines, S.S. "Orcades", 02 Oct 1956–25 Oct 1956
Women's achievements in the arts, David Jones' Art Gallery, Sydney, Sydney, 31 Aug 1960–09 Sep 1960
Stampede of the Lower Gods: Classical Mythology in Australian Art 1890's-1930's, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Oct 1989–26 Nov 1989
Jean Bellette retrospective (2004-2005):
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 10 Dec 2004–16 Jan 2005
- S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks 12 Mar 2005–15 Apr 2005
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane 06 May 2005–12 Jun 2005
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, Mornington 12 Jul 2005–28 Aug 2005
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 10 Nov 2005–18 Dec 2005
Referenced in 16 publications
Claire Armstrong (Editor), Art and Australia (Vol. 42, No. 2), Sydney, Dec 2004-Feb 2005, 194 (colour illus.). Advertisement for the Jean Bellete touring retrospective exhibition, organised by Bathurst Regional Art Gallery & SH Ervin Gallery.
Herbert Badham, A gallery of Australian art, 'Introduction', pg. v-vii., Sydney, 1954, xi, (illus.). plate no. 51
Amanda Beresford, Art and Australia (Vol. 31, No. 3), 'Mind, myth and modernism: Revaluing Jean Bellette', pg. 372-379, Sydney, Autumn 1994, 372, 374 (colour illus.), 376.
Deborah Edwards, Daphne Wallace, Margo Neale, Victoria Lynn and Sandra Byron, Review: works by women from the permanent collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 1995.
Deborah Edwards, Stampede of the Lower Gods: Classical Mythology in Australian Art, Sydney, Sep 1989, 65.
Christine France, Amanda Beresford and Barbara Hall, Jean Bellette retrospective, Sydney, 2004, 18, 27 (colour illus.), 68, 71. no catalogue numbers
James Gleeson, Contemporary Australian painting, Unknown, 1956. not paginated, cat.no. 3
Joan Kerr (Editor), Heritage: The national women's art book, Sydney, 1995, 238 (colour illus.), 239. cat.no. 404. Entry by Deborah Edwards. Biography by Barbara Hall pg. 310-311.
John McDonald, The Sydney Morning Herald, 'The art of enigma', pg. 19, Sydney, 02 Apr 2005-03 Apr 2005, 19. Review of Jean Bellette Retrospective in Spectrum section.
Hal Missingham, Contemporary Australian painting from the National Collection, Sydney, circa 1946, 12. cat.no. 22
National Council of Women, An exhibition of women's achievements in the arts, New South Wales, 1960. cat.no. 49; Kindly lent by the AGNSW
New South Wales Society of Artists, Society of Artists Annual Exhibition, Sydney, 1944. cat.no. 63; priced 50 guineas
Bernard William Smith, Place, taste and tradition: a study of Australian art since 1788, 'The modern movement in Australia', pg. 181-213, South Melbourne, 1979, 207 (illus.). plate no. 83
Laurence Thomas, Twelve Australian artists, 'Introduction', pg. 6-10, London, 1953, 18. cat.no. 48
Laurie Thomas (Editor), Jubilee exhibition of Australian art, Sydney, 1951, 43. cat.no. 123
Sydney Ure Smith (Editor), Present day art in Australia, Sydney, 1949, 57 (illus.).
Other works by Jean Bellette
See all 22 works