- Place where the work was made
- Media category
- Materials used
- black pastel
- 153.5 x 116.0 cm sheet; 153.5 x 232.0 cm diptych overall; 153.5 x 464.0 cm quartet overall; single frame dimension 165.5 x 126.0 x 5.0 cm
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Gift of the artist 1996
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Jan Senbergs. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Drawing has been central to Senbergs’ practice since the late 1970s. Kitchen at Smacka’s is a panoramic view of the artist’s studio, a cavernous space in inner Melbourne which had previously been occupied by a nightclub prominent on Melbourne’s jazz scene, named after its owner, Smacka Fitzgibbon. In the first two sheets of the four part drawing, the semi-circular dance floor can be seen, which Senbergs has retained; in the fourth sheet is the old bar.
Senbergs only submitted the third and fourth sheets of this quartet of drawings to the Dobell Prize in 1995. After they won and were thus acquired for the AGNSW collection, the artist gifted the first and second sheets of the quartet to the gallery.
Where the work was made
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Australian drawings from the Gallery's collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Dec 1997–15 Mar 1998
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 4 publications
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 30.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Introduction’, pg. 6-14, Sydney, 2012, 7, 24, 25 (illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'Drawing a winner: a decade of Dobell prizes shows us how and why', pg. 24-27, Sydney, Aug 2003, 26, 27 (illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Australian drawings from the Gallery's collection, Sydney, 1997, 8 (illus.), 13, 133 (illus.). cat.no. 130
Other works by Jan Senbergs
See more works