At the close of day
Close of day
pencil, watercolour on ivory wove paper
56.8 x 65.5 cm sheet; 82.2 x 88.7 x 3.0 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., grey watercolour "J.J. HILDER/ 1914".
Not on display
Shown in 4 exhibitions
One hundred years of Australian art, Exhibition Venue Unknown, 1945–1946
100 years of Australian painting (1948), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Apr 1948–17 May 1948
Jesse Jewhurst Hilder anniversary exhibition (1966-1967):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 21 Apr 1966–15 May 1966
- City Hall, Toowoomba, Toowoomba 23 May 1966–29 May 1966
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 09 Jun 1966–03 Jul 1966
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 14 Jul 1966–07 Aug 1966
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 18 Aug 1966–11 Sep 1966
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 22 Sep 1966–23 Oct 1966
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 09 Nov 1966–04 Dec 1966
- Canberra Theatre Centre, Canberra 15 Dec 1966–08 Jan 1967
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 19 Jan 1967–12 Feb 1967
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 23 Feb 1967–19 Mar 1967
J.J. Hilder and Contemporaries:
Referenced in 8 publications
Bank of New South Wales, The Etruscan, Sydney, Sep 1959, (illus.).
Brett Hilder and Lloyd Rees, The heritage of J. J. Hilder, Sydney, 1966, (illus.).
Captain Brett Hilder., Jesse Jewhurst Hilder: anniversary exhibition, 'Introduction', Brisbane, 1966. cat.no. 60
William Moore, The story of Australian art from the earliest known art of the continent to the art of today (Vol. 1), 'Australian school of landscape painters', pg. 85-122, Sydney, 1934, (illus.).
Ursula Prunster and Edmund Capon AM, OBE, J.J. Hilder and contemporaries, Sydney, 1981, (illus.). cat.no. 15
Bernard Smith, 100 years of Australian painting, 'Foreword', pg. 2-4, Sydney, 1948, 14. watercolours cat.no. 14; titled 'Close of day'
Bertram Stevens and Sydney Ure Smith Memorial Fund, J.J. Hilder: water-colourist, Sydney, 1916, (illus.).
Trustees of the National Art Gallery of New South Wales, One hundred years of Australian art, Sydney, circa 1945. cat.no. 7