- Media category
- Materials used
- Ripolin enamel and oil-based red ochre on hardboard
- 91.5 x 121.5 cm board; 107.0 x 137.3 x 5.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., pencil "Nolan 30.11.49".
- Gift of Edron Pty Ltd - 1995 through the auspices of Alistair McAlpine
- 20th & 21st c Australian art
- Accession number
- © The Trustees of the Sidney Nolan Trust/DACS. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 6 exhibitions
Sidney Nolan (1951), The Redfern Gallery, London, 11 Jan 1951–03 Feb 1951
Sidney Nolan - Sylvia Gosse - Vera Cuningham - French Paintings (1951), The Redfern Gallery, London, 11 Jan 1951–03 Feb 1951
Sidney Nolan: Burke and Wills, S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 07 Nov 1985–26 Jan 1986
Sidney Nolan: landscapes and legends a retrospective exhibition 1937 - 1987:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 03 Jun 1987–26 Jul 1987
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 11 Aug 1987–27 Sep 1987
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 21 Oct 1987–29 Nov 1987
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 15 Dec 1987–31 Jan 1988
Burke and Wills: From Melbourne to Myth, National Library of Australia, Canberra, 27 Mar 2002–02 Jun 2002
Sidney Nolan: Desert and Drought, Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, Melbourne, 06 Jun 2003–17 Aug 2003
Referenced in 8 publications
Tim Bonyhady, Burke & Wills: from Melbourne to myth, Canberra, 2002, 45. Exhibition list of works
Tim Bonyhady, The Canberra times, 'The expedition that captured our imagination', pg. 6-7, Ainslie, 16 Mar 2002, 7 (Panorama lift-out). Panorama is the colour magazine lift-out in the Saturday edition of The Canberra Times.
Jane Clark, Sidney Nolan - landscapes and legends: a retrospective exhibition 1937 - 1987, Sydney, 1987, 106 (illus.).
Paula Dredge, Sidney Nolan: The Artist’s Materials, Los Angeles, 2020, 79 (colour illus.), 104 (colour illus.) (detail of paint sample), 105, 111, 121, 132 (index). fig. 73
Jeremy Eccles, Art Monthly Australia, 'art + soul', pg. 42-43, Canberra, Nov 2010, 43. Book review. General reference.
L.F. Fitzhardinge., Sidney Nolan - Sylvia Gosse - Vera Cuningham - French Paintings (1951), 'Sidney Nolan: Foreword', London, 1951. cat.no. 2; titled 'Burke and Wills Expedition, 'Gray sick'; price: 50 guineas
T.G. Rosenthal, Sidney Nolan, 'Burke and Wills', pg. 112-123, London, 2002, 121, 122 (illus.).
Geoffrey Smith, Sidney Nolan: desert & drought, 'Burke and Wills', pg. 66-79, Melbourne, 2003, 67 (colour illus.), 68, 146. cat.no. 7
Other works by Sidney Nolan
See more works