- Media category
- Materials used
- charcoal, pastel, watercolour
- 70.4 x 51.5 cm image; 76.2 x 57.0 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l., pencil "Gleeson 28.7.80".
- Purchased 1982
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Gleeson/O'Keefe Foundation
- Artist information
Works in the collection
The character and mood of this coloured drawing is similar to Gleeson's paintings from 1982 onwards. The first study for the drawing is a 3.8 x 3.2 cm thumbnail sketch in the AGNSW's Gleeson 'Sketchbook 1'. One of five small studies on the page, this tiny drawing differs very little from the much larger final drawing.
Hendrik Kolenberg and Anne Ryan, 'James Gleeson: drawings for paintings', Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2003, pg. 70.
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Contemporary Australian Drawings - from the collection:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 11 Jan 1992–17 Feb 1992
- Nolan Gallery, Australia 01 May 1992–08 Jun 1992
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 12 Jun 1992–12 Jul 1992
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 14 Oct 1992–08 Nov 1992
James Gleeson: drawings for paintings, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 12 Apr 2003–15 Jun 2003
James Gleeson centenary: works from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 07 Nov 2015–27 Jan 2016
Referenced in 3 publications
Hendrik Kolenberg, Contemporary Australian drawings: from the collection, Sydney, 1992. cat.no. 21
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'Revealing drawings: ideas that were turned into monumental paintings', pg. 22-26, Sydney, Mar 2003, 22 (colour illus.), 23.
Hendrik Kolenberg and Anne Ryan, James Gleeson: drawings for paintings, Sydney, 2003, 71 (colour illus.). cat.no. 26
Other works by James Gleeson
See more works