Transparent landscape, Rainbow Valley
Australia, Austria, Hungary
15 Aug 1920 - 03 Nov 2015
Drawing was central to Cassab’s desert paintings. She made many drawings and watercolours outdoors (en plein air) while observing her subject directly, developing the theme further in the studio, but even the larger canvasses and watercolours made in the studio reveal powerful under-drawings. Cassab’s desert works never lose their link with nature, while at the same time being expressive of abstract qualities of form and colour.
This work was a finalist in the 1997 Dobell Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1997.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2015
charcoal on thick white wove paper
76.2 x 102.8 cm sheet ; 104.5 x 130.0 x 2.0 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, charcoal "Cassab 97".
Gift of the artist 1997
Not on display
© Judy Cassab
Dobell Prize for Drawing
Where the work was made
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 1997:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 22 Mar 1997–11 May 1997
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 15 May 1997–22 Jun 1997
- Solander Gallery, Yarralumla 26 Jul 1997–24 Aug 1997
Australian drawings from the Gallery's collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Dec 1997–15 Mar 1998
Dobell Drawing Prize 1998 (Touring show):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Mar 1998–19 Apr 1998
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 24 Jul 1998–06 Sep 1998
Australian Collection Focus: Judy Cassab, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 29 May 2008–31 Aug 2008
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 4 publications
Hendrik Kolenberg, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Introduction’, pg. 6-14, Sydney, 2012, 10, 63 (illus.), 75.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'Drawing conclusions', pg. 14-17, Sydney, Sep 2006, 17.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Australian drawings from the Gallery's collection, ‘The drawings’, pg. 17-142, Sydney, 1997, 141 (illus.). cat.no. 138
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 30.