Australia, Austria, Hungary
15 Aug 1920 - 03 Nov 2015
'Temple, Udaipur' was included in the 2002 Dobell Prize (entry no. 298). The subject of the drawing is a temple Judy Cassab saw on a visit to India in February 2002. The temple complex (Eklingji Temple, at Kailashpuri) is 12 miles north of Udaipur in Rajasthan. It is dedicated to the deity Eklingji (Shiva), and also includes temples to other deities.
Judy Cassab has kept a diary her whole life; on this visit she began, for the first time, to illustrate it; she also drew in a number of sketchbooks (artist's collection). One of these small illustrations was the basis for this drawing.
This work was a finalist in the 2002 Dobell Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 2003.
charcoal on thick white wove paper
105.0 x 75.5 cm sheet ; 125.0 x 95.0 x 4.5 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, charcoal "Cassab/ 2002".
Gift of the artist 2003
Not on display
© Judy Cassab
Dobell Prize for Drawing (discontinued)
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 2002, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 01 Jun 2002–21 Jul 2002
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 1 publication
Hendrik Kolenberg, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Introduction’, pg. 6-14, Sydney, 2012, 10, 64 (illus.), 76.