oil, synthetic polymer paint on hardboard
162.2 x 120.5
Signature & date
Signed and dated bot. c., black synthetic polymer paint "Upward 60".
Not on display
© Courtesy Julie Harris
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Clement Meadmore - Peter Upward (1960), Macquarie Galleries, Sydney, 31 Aug 1960–12 Sep 1960
Australian painting today: a survey of the past ten years (1963-64):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 19 Sep 1963–20 Oct 1963
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 07 Nov 1963–08 Dec 1963
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 09 Jan 1964–09 Feb 1964
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 27 Feb 1964–29 Mar 1964
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 16 Apr 1964–17 May 1964
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 04 Jun 1964–05 Jul 1964
East of the Sun (1997), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 01 Jun 1996–17 Nov 1996
Ink: Whiteley and others (2006), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 29 Apr 2006–20 Aug 2006
Frozen gestures: the art and philosophy of Peter Upward, Penrith Regional Gallery & The Lewers Bequest, Emu Plains, 20 Oct 2007–02 Dec 2007
Referenced in 6 publications
Christopher Heathcote, Encounters with Australian modern art, 'Reconstruction culture 1945-1962', pg. 9-56, South Yarra, 2008, 52, 53 (colour illus.), 54. NOTE: Related work reproduced: titled 'Untitled' 1960, TarraWarra Museum of Art.
Robert Hughes., Australian painting today: a survey of the past ten years, 'Introduction', Brisbane, 1963, (illus.). cat.no. 75; Lent by Rudy Komon Gallery, Sydney; not paginated.
INK: Whiteley and Others, Sydney, 2006. List of works
52 views of Rudy Komon, Sydney, 1999, 164.
East of the Sun, Sydney, 1997. List of works
The Art Gallery of New South Wales Bulletin, 'Brett Whiteley Studio - East of the Sun', pg. 30-31, Sydney, Aug 1996-Oct 1996, 30 (colour illus.).