- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media categories
- Drawing , Scroll
- Materials used
- acrylic, charcoal and pastel on gessoed canvas scroll
- 195.0 x 150.0 cm image; 258.0 x 170.0 cm scroll overall
- Signature & date
Signed l.l., pen and black ink "david rose".
Signed l.r. with monogram, black ink "dr". Not dated.
- Gift of Dr Roderick Bain 2004
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © david rose
- Dobell Prize for Drawing
- - 2003
- Artist information
Works in the collection
David Rose was born in Melbourne. He began painting and printmaking in 1960, first making the screenprints for which he is best known, in 1961. In 1964-65 he travelled in Europe and studied etching at Escuela Lonja in Barcelona; he also produced a series of lithographs at a local commercial lithographers workshop. From 1967-76 he taught printmaking at East Sydney Technical College, leaving to pursue his own work full-time from 1977-86. Rose taught at the City Art Institute, Sydney from 1986-90. Since 1976 he has lived and worked in Ourimbah NSW.
This drawing was exhibited in the 2003 Dobell Prize for Drawing and is the largest drawing yet undertaken by the artist on the theme of trees, in which he has been interested since the late 1970s (eg. 'Angophoras' 1981, screenprint AGNSW collection). This work was acquired by the Gallery in 2004.
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 2003, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 12 Sep 2003–30 Nov 2003
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery, 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 3 publications
Helen Campbell, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Other works acquired from the Dobell Prize for Drawing’ compiled, pg. 62-72, Sydney, 2012, 10, 70 (colour illus.), 77.
Elizabeth Fortescue, The Daily Telegraph, ‘Battle lines drawn as some see the light on artwork’, pg. 11, Sydney, 13 Sep 2003, 11.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 31.
Other works by David Rose
See all 27 works