Study for "The street singer"
24 Sep 1899 - 13 May 1970
coloured chalks on paper
23.5 x 25.5
Signature & date
Signed l.r., pencil "Bill Dobell". Not dated.
Purchased under the terms of the Florence Turner Blake Bequest 1962
Not on display
© Courtesy Sir William Dobell Art Foundation.
Where the work was made
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Acquisitions 1962, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 10 Apr 1963–12 May 1963
William Dobell: Paintings from 1926 - 1964 (1964), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 15 Jul 1964–30 Aug 1964
Everyday Life, prints, drawings and watercolours from the collections of Australian and European Art:
William Dobell the painter's progress (1997-1998):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Feb 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 07 May 1997–06 Jul 1997
- Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Melbourne 29 Jul 1997–21 Sep 1997
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 25 Oct 1997–07 Dec 1997
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 08 Jan 1998–01 Mar 1998
Referenced in 2 publications
Hendrik Kolenberg, Everyday life: prints drawings and watercolours from the collections of Australian and European art, Sydney, 1994. cat.no. 17
Peter Raissis, William Dobell - the painter's progress, 'London: life and portraits', pg. 32-72, Sydney, 1997, 64 (colour illus.). cat.no. 19a