- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on plywood
- 76.0 x 101.6 cm board; 97.1 x 122.5 x 5.2 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, red oil "Russell Drysdale". Not dated.
- Gift in memory of Hugh Alexander McClure Smith C.V.O. by his wife and daughter 1963
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Estate of Russell Drysdale
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Where the work was made
Shown in 9 exhibitions
UNESCO Exposition Internationale d'Art Moderne, Musee d'Art Moderne de la ville de Paris, France, 18 Nov 1946–Dec 1946
Canberra for Britannica Australia Awards, Australian National University, Canberra, Jan 1961 -
Drysdale: Paintings 1940-72, S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 14 Jun 1985–21 Jul 1985
Russell Drysdale: paintings 1940-72, S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 14 Jun 1985–21 Jul 1985
The Artists of Hill End:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 29 Jul 1995–17 Sep 1995
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 06 Oct 1995–19 Nov 1995
- New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale 10 Feb 1996–31 Mar 1996
- Broken Hill City Art Gallery, Broken Hill 19 Apr 1996–26 May 1996
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat 07 Jun 1996–29 Jul 1996
Russell Drysdale 1912-1981:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 19 Dec 1997–09 Mar 1998
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 27 Mar 1998–10 May 1998
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 18 May 1998–28 Jun 1998
- Museum and Art Galleries of the Northern Territory, Darwin 20 Jul 1998–30 Aug 1998
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 23 Sep 1998–15 Nov 1998
Drysdale (1999), Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, University of Western Australia, Perth, 13 Aug 1999–26 Sep 1999
Russell Drysdale: defining the modern Australian landscape, TarraWarra Museum of Art, Healesville, 19 Oct 2013–09 Feb 2014
Referenced in 15 publications
Dennis Colsey and Hal Missingham, One hundred years of Australian landscape painting: Art Gallery of New South Wales Travelling Art Exhibition 1968, Sydney, 1968, 21 (illus.). cat.no. 22
Chris Deutscher, Australian modern masters and 19th & 20th century Australian and International Fine Art: Fine Art auction 3 & 4 May 2000, Melbourne, 2000, 82. reference to work in association with lot 40 'Study for The Crucifixion' 1945, pen and ink on paper, 25.0 x 36.5cm, signed with studio stamp l.r. 'Russell Drysdale'; colour illus. of lot 40 on page 82
Russell Drysdale, The paintings of Russell Drysdale: reproducing fifteen plates in colour with an essay by Joseph Burke, 'List of works and owners, 1951', pg.47-52, Sydney, 1951, 51.
Lou Klepac, Russell Drysdale: paintings 1940-72, Sydney, 1985, 9. cat.no. 17
Anne Gray, Hendrik Kolenberg and Tim Bonyhady, Russell Drysdale, Perth, 1999, 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 18 (colour illus.), 21. cat.no. 17
Richard Haese, Rebels and precursors : the revolutionary years of Australian art, 'The new court painters', pg. 257-267, Ringwood, 1981, 264.
Christopher Heathcote, Russell Drysdale: defining the modern Australian landscape, 'Defining the modern Australian landscape', pg. 9-32, Kent Town, 2013, 20 (colour illus.), 56-57 (colour illus.), 85.
Lou Klepac, Russell Drysdale: the drawings, 'Drysdale drawings: Donald Friend and Albury', pg. 13-19, Sydney, 2012, 19.
Lou Klepac, The life and work of Russell Drysdale, 'Drought journey', pg. 79-86, Kensington, 1983, 82, 261 (colour illus.), 367. plate no. 74
Greg McKeon (Editor), Pasture degredation and recovery in Australia's rangelands: learning from history, 'Degradation and recovery episodes in Australia's rangelands: An anthology', pg. 87-172, Queensland, 2004, 121 (colour illus.). plate no. 2.4
Julie Roberts, Uncertain ground: essays between art + nature, 'The edge of the trees at the end of the millennium', pg. 125-141, Sydney, 1999, 138.
Geoffrey Smith, Russell Drysdale 1912-1981, Melbourne, 1997, 94, 95 (colour illus.). cat.no. 31
Gavin Wilson, The artists of Hill End, 'On the road to Hill End', pg. 29-40, Sydney, 1995, 34 (colour illus.), 36, 118. plate no. 13
Editor Unknown (Editor), Daily telegraph and daily news, Sydney, 26 Jul 1946, pg. no. unknown. Reference and reproduction.
Editor Unknown (Editor), Daily telegraph and daily news, Sydney, 26 Jul 1946, (illus.).
Other works by Russell Drysdale
See more works