Entrance, old Colonial Treasury
Sydney Ure Smith
09 Jan 1887 - 11 Oct 1949
This work was catalogued in two 1920 publications on Ure Smith's etchings as 'Entrance Old Colonial Treasury' and in a 1950 publication as 'Entrance, old Colonial treasury, Lang St'. Different impressions have been inscribed with other titles by the artist, including this impression. All three catalogues were published by Ure Smith's publishing company, Art in Australia.
The 1920 catalogues note: 'This interesting old building was the Colonial Treasury of the early fifties. The lower portion is now used by the 'Freeman's Journal' '
The 1950 catalogue notes: 'Erected in 1824 by Mr Wm. Cox; the first occupant was Sir William Balcombe, the first Colonial Treasurer, who took up his abode and business there in 1824'.
Refs: 'The etchings of Sydney Ure Smith' Art in Australia, Sydney, 1920 plate 27, p.20; 'Catalogue of etchings of Sydney Ure Smith' (Art in Australia), limited edition printed by hand at Smith & Julius Art Studios, Sydney 1920 plate 27, p.22; 'The etchings of Sydney Ure Smith' Ure Smith miniature series, Sydney 1950 plate 10
Doorway Freeman's Journal Lang St.
Entrance, old Colonial Treasury, Lang St
Old Colonial Treasury
etching, printed in black ink with pale plate tone on cream laid paper
22.2 x 10.7 cm platemark; 28.3 x 17.4 cm sheet (irreg.)
Signature & date
Signed l.r. below image, pencil "Sydney Ure Smith".
Signed and dated in plate to print l.r. corner, "S. Ure. S./ APRIL 1916".
Gift of B.J. Waterhouse 1958
Not on display