pencil, watercolour, opaque white on white wove paper
24.2 x 22.5 cm sight; 49.8 x 45.8 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l., pen and black ink "NORMAN LINDSAY/ 1916.".
Gift of Howard Hinton 1926
Not on display
© Estate of Norman Lindsay
Shown in 6 exhibitions
Australian watercolours from the National Art Gallery collection 1836-1946, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 24 May 1946–Jun 1946
Howard Hinton memorial exhibition (1948), National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Apr 1948–30 Apr 1948
Jubilee exhibition of Australian art:
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 12 Mar 1951–31 Mar 1951
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 09 Apr 1951–28 Apr 1951
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 25 Jun 1951–21 Jul 1951
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 06 Aug 1951–01 Sep 1951
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 24 Sep 1951–20 Oct 1951
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 12 Nov 1951–10 Dec 1951
J.J. Hilder and Contemporaries:
The Legendary Lindsays:
Parallel Visions: Twenty-two artists from the Australian collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 22 Feb 2002–May 2003
Referenced in 6 publications
Lin Bloomfield, Norman Lindsay: watercolours 1897 - 1969, 'Watercolours in Public Collections', Bungendore, 2003, 296.
Gavin Fry, Parallel visions: works from the Australian collection, 'J.J. Hilder / Blamire Young / Norman Lindsay', pg. 72-87, Sydney, 2002, 80, 81 (colour illus., detail), 82 (colour illus.), 145, 147.
Lionel Lindsay, Howard Hinton memorial exhibition, 'Howard Hinton, OBE', pg. 2-3, Sydney, 1948, 11. cat.no. 59; titled 'Paddler'
Ursula Prunster and Edmund Capon AM, OBE, J.J. Hilder and contemporaries, Sydney, 1981, (illus.). cat.no. 40
Laurie Thomas (Editor), Jubilee exhibition of Australian art, Sydney, 1951, 38. cat.no. 99
Trustees of the National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Australian watercolours from the National Art Gallery collection 1836 to 1946, Sydney, 1946, 9. cat.no. 19