This work was a finalist in the 1947 Sulman Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1976.
oil on hardboard
61.0 x 78.5 cm board; 69.0 x 86.2 x 3.6 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated u.l. corner, black oil "RAokin. 47".
Not on display
© Estate of HF Weaver Hawkins
Sir John Sulman Prize
Shown in 13 exhibitions
Project 11 - Weaver Hawkins (1976), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 07 Feb 1976–14 Mar 1976
Weaver Hawkins (1893-1977): memorial retrospective exhibition:
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat mid Oct 1977–Nov 1977
- University Gallery, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Dec 1977–Jan 1978
- Hamilton Art Gallery, Hamilton Feb 1978–Mar 1978
- Castlemaine Art Gallery and Historical Museum, Castlemaine early Apr 1978–late Apr 1978
- Geelong Art Gallery, Geelong early May 1978–late May 1978
- Horsham Art Gallery, Australia early Jun 1978–late Jun 1978
- Ararat Gallery, Ararat early Jul 1978–late Jul 1978
- Mildura Arts Centre, Mildura early Aug 1978–late Aug 1978
- Sale Regional Art Gallery, Australia early Sep 1978–late Sep 1978
- Warrnambool Art Gallery, Warrnambool early Oct 1978–late Oct 1978
- McClelland Gallery, Victoria early Nov 1978–late Nov 1978
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle Jan 1979–Feb 1979
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane early Mar 1979–late Mar 1979
Aspects of Australian Figurative Painting 1942-1962: Dreams, Fears and Desires (The 5th Biennale of Sydney), S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 11 Apr 1984–17 Jun 1984
Celebrity Choice - Sam Neill, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 08 Jan 1987–08 Feb 1987
The Bomb, Monash University Gallery, Clayton, 13 Jul 1993–21 Aug 1993
Weaver Hawkins retrospective:
Federation: Australian art and society 1901-2001, National Gallery of Australia, Parkes, 08 Dec 2000–11 Feb 2001
Artists as Social Commentators and Activists 1946-2006:
An expanded vision: Mary Turner collection, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange, 27 Aug 2011–30 Oct 2011
Home front: wartime Sydney 1939–45, Museum of Sydney, Sydney, 31 Mar 2012–09 Sep 2012
Follow the Flag: Australian artists at war 1914-1945, Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, Melbourne, 24 Apr 2015–16 Aug 2015
Postwar - Art between the Pacific and Atlantic 1945-1965, Haus der Kunst, Munich, München, 14 Oct 2016–26 Mar 2017
Referenced in 13 publications
Rod James, Nuclear (r)age: the bomb in Australian art, 'Nuclear (R)Age: the bomb in Australian art', pg. 4-16, Clayton, Jun 1993, 4, 5, 19 (colour illus.), 29. cat.no. 29
Alan Sisley, Central Western Daily, 'Femme fatale doesn't paint a pretty picture', n.pag., Orange, 24 Sep 2011, n.pag. (colour illus.). Article relates to the exhibition 'An expanded vision: Mary Turner collection' held at Orange Regional Gallery in 2011.
Daniel Thomas, Project 11: Weaver Hawkins, 'Weaver Hawkins', Sydney, 1976, not paginated. cat.no. 25, collection of the artist
Prayer for the twenty-first century, Port Melbourne, 1997, (colour illus.). not paginated
The art and life of Weaver Hawkins, Sydney, 1995, (colour illus.). plate no. 19
Unknown (Curator), An expanded view: the Mary Turner Collection at Orange Regional Gallery, 'List of works', pg. 117-124, Orange, 2011, 119.
Celebrity choice: Sam Neill, Sydney, 1987, not paginated. no catalogue numbers
Aspects of Australian figurative painting 1942-1962: dreams, fears and desires, Sydney, 1984, 36 (colour illus.).
Catalogue of acquisitions 1976, Sydney, 1976, 24 (illus.).
Weaver Hawkins, 1893-1977 : memorial retrospective exhibition 1977-1979, Ballarat, 1977. cat.no. 16; not paginated
Weaver Hawkins 1893-1977, Sydney, 1995. cat.no. 30; Collection AGNSW
Artists as social commentators and activists, Sydney, 2007, 7 (colour illus.), 30. no catalogue numbers
Unknown, Federation: Australian art and society 1901-2001, Canberra, 2000, 121 (colour illus.), 256. no catalogue numbers