This work was a finalist in the 1947 Sulman Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1976.
oil on hardboard
61.0 x 78.5 cm board; 69.0 x 86.2 x 3.6 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated u.l. corner, black oil "RAokin. 47".
Not on display
© Estate of HF Weaver Hawkins
Sir John Sulman Prize
Shown in 14 exhibitions
Project 11 - Weaver Hawkins (1976), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 07 Feb 1976–14 Mar 1976
Weaver Hawkins (1893-1977): memorial retrospective exhibition:
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat mid Oct 1977–Nov 1977
- University Gallery, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Dec 1977–Jan 1978
- Hamilton Art Gallery, Hamilton Feb 1978–Mar 1978
- Castlemaine Art Gallery and Historical Museum, Castlemaine early Apr 1978–late Apr 1978
- Geelong Art Gallery, Geelong early May 1978–late May 1978
- Horsham Art Gallery, Australia early Jun 1978–late Jun 1978
- Ararat Gallery, Ararat early Jul 1978–late Jul 1978
- Mildura Arts Centre, Mildura early Aug 1978–late Aug 1978
- Sale Regional Art Gallery, Australia early Sep 1978–late Sep 1978
- Warrnambool Art Gallery, Warrnambool early Oct 1978–late Oct 1978
- McClelland Gallery, Victoria early Nov 1978–late Nov 1978
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle Jan 1979–Feb 1979
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane early Mar 1979–late Mar 1979
Aspects of Australian Figurative Painting 1942-1962: Dreams, Fears and Desires (The 5th Biennale of Sydney), S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 11 Apr 1984–17 Jun 1984
Celebrity Choice - Sam Neill, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 08 Jan 1987–08 Feb 1987
The Bomb, Monash University Gallery, Clayton, 13 Jul 1993–21 Aug 1993
Weaver Hawkins retrospective:
Federation: Australian art and society 1901-2001, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, 08 Dec 2000–11 Feb 2001
Artists as Social Commentators and Activists 1946-2006:
An expanded vision: Mary Turner collection, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange, 27 Aug 2011–30 Oct 2011
Home front: wartime Sydney 1939–45, Museum of Sydney, Sydney, 31 Mar 2012–09 Sep 2012
Follow the Flag: Australian artists at war 1914-1945, Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, Melbourne, 24 Apr 2015–16 Aug 2015
Postwar - Art between the Pacific and Atlantic 1945-1965, Haus der Kunst, Munich, München, 14 Oct 2016–26 Mar 2017
Black Mist, Burnt country, National Museum of Australia, Canberra, Canberra, 23 Aug 2018–18 Nov 2018
Referenced in 13 publications
Art Gallery of New South Wales (Editor), Catalogue of acquisitions 1976, Sydney, 1976, 24 (illus.).
Rod James, Nuclear (r)age: the bomb in Australian art, 'Nuclear (R)Age: the bomb in Australian art', pg. 4-16, Clayton, Jun 1993, 4, 5, 19 (colour illus.), 29. cat.no. 29
Steven Miller and Unknown, The art and life of Weaver Hawkins, Sydney, 1995, (colour illus.). plate no. 19
S.H. Ervin Gallery, Weaver Hawkins 1893-1977, Sydney, 1995. cat.no. 30; Collection AGNSW
Alan Sisley, Central Western Daily, 'Femme fatale doesn't paint a pretty picture', n.pag., Orange, 24 Sep 2011, n.pag. (colour illus.). Article relates to the exhibition 'An expanded vision: Mary Turner collection' held at Orange Regional Gallery in 2011.
Daniel Thomas, Project 11: Weaver Hawkins, 'Weaver Hawkins', Sydney, 1976, not paginated. cat.no. 25, collection of the artist
Unknown, Weaver Hawkins, 1893-1977 : memorial retrospective exhibition 1977-1979, Ballarat, 1977. cat.no. 16; not paginated
Unknown, Celebrity choice: Sam Neill, Sydney, 1987, not paginated. no catalogue numbers
Unknown (Editor), Artists as social commentators and activists, Sydney, 2007, 7 (colour illus.), 30. no catalogue numbers
Unknown, Federation: Australian art and society 1901-2001, Canberra, 2000, 121 (colour illus.), 256. no catalogue numbers
Unknown, Prayer for the twenty-first century, Port Melbourne, 1997, (colour illus.). not paginated
Unknown (Curator), An expanded view: the Mary Turner Collection at Orange Regional Gallery, 'List of works', pg. 117-124, Orange, 2011, 119.
Unknown and Unknown, Aspects of Australian figurative painting 1942-1962: dreams, fears and desires, Sydney, 1984, 36 (colour illus.).