- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on plywood
- 76.2 x 91.5 cm board; 90.5 x 106.0 x 5.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated u.l. corner, red oil "Roderick Shaw 1946".
- Purchased 1952
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © AGNSW
- Sir John Sulman Prize
- - 1946
- Artist information
Works in the collection
This work was a finalist in the 1946 Sulman Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1952.
Where the work was made
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Art and social commitment: an end to the city of dreams:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 27 Sep 1984–28 Oct 1984
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 15 Nov 1984–06 Jan 1985
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 24 Jan 1985–03 Mar 1985
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 26 Mar 1985–28 Apr 1985
The Windsor Group, Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, Windsor, 01 Sep 2006–26 Nov 2006
Artists as Social Commentators and Activists 1946-2006:
Referenced in 5 publications
Richard Haese, Rebels and precursors : the revolutionary years of Australian art, Ringwood, 1981, 173 (illus.).
Manly Art Gallery and Museum (Editor), Artists as social commentators and activists, Sydney, 2007, 30, 2 (colour illus.).
Charles Merewether, Art and social commitment: an end to the city of dreams 1931-1948, Sydney, 1984, 108, 170 (illus.). cat.no. 111
Hal Missingham., Hemisphere: an Asian-Australian magazine, 'Paintings by Australian artists', Sydney, May 1957, 17 (illus.).
Kathleen von Witt., The Windsor Group, 'The Windsor Group', Hawkesbury River, 2006. not paginated
Other works by Roderick Shaw
See more works