- Other Title
- Kate's bunch
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on plywood
- 60.7 x 76.0 cm board; 76.6 x 89.6 x 5.6 cm frame
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased 1946
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Winifred Nicholson Trust
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Kate is the eldest daughter of Winifred Nicholson and her then painter/husband Ben. The painting was first exhibited in 1936, and was probably painted in France, where the artist had gone to live with her three children between 1932 and 1938. From 1927 Winifred was a Christian Scientist, believing that the spiritual realm was part of this life, not the next, and that our limited perception revealed only the material world. The artist's preoccupation with light and subtle colour may be an attempted to represent the spiritual. The different viewpoints of the vases and their setting may also reflect these beliefs.
AGNSW Handbook, 1994
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Banks Head Exhibition, The Leicester Galleries, London, Jun 1936–Jul 1936
New English Art Club, Exhibition Venue Unknown, 1939–1939
Recent Paintings by Winifred Nicholson and John Wells, Alex Reid & Lefevre, Ltd., London, Apr 1946–Apr 1946
Landscapes of pleasure, from Monet to Hockney, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 30 Apr 2016–17 Jul 2016
Referenced in 5 publications
Renée Free, Art Gallery of New South Wales catalogue of British paintings, Sydney, 1987, 141 (illus.).
Renée Free, AGNSW Collections, 'The Western Heritage, Renaissance to Twentieth Century', pg. 108-172, Sydney, 1994, 162 (colour illus.).
Anne Kirker and Peter Tomory, British painting 1800–1990 in Australian and New Zealand public collections, Sydney, 1997, 24 (colour illus.), 140. cat.no. 1615
Terence Maloon, Look, 'Acquisitions: Derain's Antique Inspirations', Heidelberg, Nov 1987, 12-13, 12 (colour illus.).
Kenneth McConkey, The New English: a history of the New English Art Club, 'Spinsterish Integrity' 1930-1945, London, 2006, 171, 172 (colour illus.). fig.140
The Leicester Galleries, 1936, London/England
Alex Reid & Lefevre, Ltd., 1946, London/England, Purchased by the AGNSW from Alex Reid & Lefevre 1946