oil on plywood
40.0 x 30.5 cm board; 53.8 x 44.1 x 3.3 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated u.r., "Donald 46".
Not on display
© Reproduced with permission of the Estate of Donald Friend. Licensed by Copyright Agency.
Shown in 5 exhibitions
100 years of Australian painting (1948), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Apr 1948–17 May 1948
A retrospective exhibition of Australian painting, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 25 Sep 1953–25 Oct 1953
Contemporary Australian Painters (1957):
- Winnipeg Art Gallery, Canada Jul 1957–Sep 1957
- London Public Library and Art Museum, Canada Sep 1957–Oct 1957
- Art Gallery of Hamilton, Ontario Oct 1957–Nov 1957
- The Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery, Canada Nov 1957–Dec 1957
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ottawa Dec 1957–Jan 1958
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Canada Feb 1958–Mar 1958
- The Art Gallery of Toronto, Toronto Apr 1958 -
- The Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery, Regina College, Canada May 1958 -
Merioola Group (1986), S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 11 Jul 1986–17 Aug 1986
Parallel Visions: Twenty-two artists from the Australian collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 22 Feb 2002–May 2003
Referenced in 9 publications
Herbert Badham, A gallery of Australian art, 'Introduction', pg. v-vii., Sydney, 1954, xii, (illus.). plate no. 39
A study of Australian art, Sydney, 1949, (illus.). plate no. 73
Christine France, Parallel visions: works from the Australian collection, 'Donald Friend / Margaret Olley', pg. 128-139, Sydney, 2002, 128, 143.
Janet Morse, Look, 'Portrait of youth', pg. 11, Melbourne, Jun 1999, 11 (colour illus.).
Barry Pearce, Donald Friend Retrospective 1915-1989, 'Introduction', pg. 9-20, Sydney, 1990, 52 (colour illus.), 53. cat.no. 27
Bernard Smith, 100 years of Australian painting, 'Foreword', pg. 2-4, Sydney, 1948, 11. cat.no. 64
Laurence Thomas., Contemporary Australian painters, 'Foreword', Ottawa, 1957. cat.no. 35
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney, 20 Sep 1946. page number unknown