Last of the season
11 Nov 1875 - 14 Feb 1955
The Last of the Season
Still life with flowers
oil on canvas
43.5 x 37.0 cm stretcher; 57.0 x 49.2 x 6.4 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, black oil "A.M.E. BALE/ 1921".
Not on display
Shown in 1 exhibition
Misty Moderns: Australian Tonalism 1915-1950:
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 14 Aug 2008–19 Oct 2008
- McClelland Gallery, Victoria 16 Nov 2008–01 Feb 2009
- National Gallery of Australia, Parkes 20 Feb 2009–26 Apr 2009
- Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre 09 May 2009–21 Jun 2009
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane 17 Jul 2009–13 Sep 2009
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle 09 Oct 2009–29 Nov 2009
Referenced in 4 publications
Anna Elias, Art and Australia (vol. 32, no. 1), 'Useless Beauty', pg. 66-72, Sydney, Spring 1994, 69 (colour illus.).
Victoria Lynn, Review: works by women from the permanent collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 1995.
Sydney Ure Smith (Editor), Art in Australia [series 3, no. 1], Sydney, Aug 1922, (illus.). not paginated, Titled 'The Last of the Season' Advertisement for 'The New Art Salon', directed by Basil Burdett: 'Announces an Exhibition of the Oil Paintings of Miss A.M.E. Bale, of Melbourne, at the Salon from August 9th to 19th ... at their New Gallery, 219 George St., Sydney. Opp. Bulletin Office.'
Misty moderns: Australian tonalists 1915-1950, 'Max Meldrum and Australian modernism', pg. 89-110, Adelaide, 2008, 98 (colour illus.), 133. NOTE: Refer to Meldrum in Sydney section.