Through sunny meadows
09 Aug 1877 - 30 Apr 1964
oil on canvas
71.1 x 142.3 cm stretcher; 99.4 x 171.0 x 7.5 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, grey/blue oil "Howard Ashton". Not dated.
Where the work was made
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Society of Artists Spring Exhibition (1898), Vickery's Chambers, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898–Sep 1898
Australian arcady: landscape paintings from the collection of the the Art Galery of New South Wales:
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 21 Apr 1983–22 May 1983
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 27 May 1983–19 Jun 1983
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 25 Jun 1983–22 Jul 1983
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Aug 1983–30 Sep 1983
A century of Australian landscape painting: mood and moment:
Golden Summers - Heidelberg and beyond:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 30 Oct 1985–27 Jan 1986
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 21 Feb 1986–20 Apr 1986
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 09 May 1986–29 Jun 1986
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 30 Jul 1986–14 Sep 1986
Referenced in 9 publications
Jane Clark, Golden summers: Heidelberg and beyond, 'Sydney Harbour', pg. 150-152, Melbourne, 1985, 163 (colour illus.).
R.F.I., Australian magazine, 'Impressionism in Art', pg. 347, Sydney, Aug 1899, 347 (illus.).
Vivienne Webb, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Golden age', pg. 37-38, Sydney, 2000, 66 (colour illus.), 300.
Bernard William Smith, A catalogue of Australian oil paintings in the National Art Gallery of New South Wales 1875-1952, Sydney, 1953, 14-15. cat.no. 7
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Sydney Morning Herald, 'Society of Artist's Exhibition', author unknown, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898, unknown. see AGNSW Press Clippings 1894-1906, pg. 187
Editor Unknown (Editor), Daily telegraph, 'Society of Artists. Annual Spring Show. A Fine Collection. Some Melbourne Work.', author unknown, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898, unknown (b&w line illus.). see AGNSW Press Clippings 1894-1906, pg.188
Unknown, Society of Artists Annual Exhibition (1898), Sydney, 1898, not paginated. cat.no. 57
Barry Pearce, A century of Australian landscape: mood and moment, Sydney, 1983, 15, 50 (colour illus.). cat.no. 31
Ursula Prunster, Australian arcady: Landscape paintings from the Art Gallery of New South Wales collection, Sydney, 1983. cat.no. 15 Note no pagination, text reference only.