- Other Title
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas
- 50.8 x 61.0 cm stretcher; 65.2 x 75.6 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.l.corner, black oil "Will Ashton".
- Purchased 1931
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Estate of Will Ashton
- Wynne Prize
- Winner - 1930
- Artist information
Works in the collection
This painting won the Wynne Prize in 1930 and was acquired by the Gallery in 1931.
Shown in 3 exhibitions
The Wynne Art Prize, 1930, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 30 Jan 1931–Feb 1931
The Arts Festival of the Olympic Games (1956), National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne, 18 Nov 1956–15 Dec 1956
The Wynne prize: an Australian landscape tradition (1987):
- S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks 19 Dec 1986–01 Feb 1987
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 06 Mar 1987–29 Mar 1987
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 10 Apr 1987–17 May 1987
- Griffith Regional Art Gallery, 03 Jun 1987–20 Jun 1987
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 01 Jul 1987–26 Jul 1987
- Albury Regional Gallery, Albury 07 Aug 1987–06 Sep 1987
- Broken Hill City Art Gallery, Broken Hill 18 Sep 1987–26 Oct 1987
- Tamworth City Gallery, Tamworth 05 Nov 1987–13 Dec 1987
Referenced in 5 publications
Herbert Badham, A gallery of Australian art, 'Introduction', pg. v-vii., Sydney, 1954, xi, ( illus.). plate no. 25
Herbert Badham, A study of Australian art, Sydney, 1949, (illus.). plate no. 39
Edmund Capon AM, OBE (Director), Barry Pearce (Curator) and Dinah Dysart (Curator), The Wynne prize: an Australian landscape tradition, Sydney, 1986, 25.
Erik Langker., Art Gallery of New South Wales Quarterly, 'Sir John William Ashton O.B.E., R.O.I', Sydney, Jan 1968, 385 (illus.).
Sydney Ure Smith and Leon Gellert (Editors), Art in Australia [series 3, no. 36], Sydney, Feb 1931, 58 (illus.).
Other works by Will Ashton
See all 80 works