- Other Title
- Study for "duchess disrobing"
- Media category
- Materials used
- gouache on cardboard
- 25.4 x 23.9 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased with assistance from the Trustees of the Sir William Dobell Art Foundation 1987
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Courtesy Sir William Dobell Art Foundation
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 5 exhibitions
William Dobell: Paintings from 1926 - 1964 (1964), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 15 Jul 1964–30 Aug 1964
Australian watercolours 1880s to 1990s:
William Dobell the painter's progress (1997-1998):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Feb 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 07 May 1997–06 Jul 1997
- Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Melbourne 29 Jul 1997–21 Sep 1997
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 25 Oct 1997–07 Dec 1997
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 08 Jan 1998–01 Mar 1998
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Portraits in context: the early work of William Dobell (2003), Carrick Hill, Australia, 08 Mar 2003–29 Jun 2003
Referenced in 6 publications
Helen Campbell, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Out of Sydney: city and hinterlands', pg. 185-186, Sydney, 2000, 186, 190 (colour illus.), 300.
Jane Hylton, William Dobell: portraits in context, 'Image of contention', pg. 10-20, Kent Town, 2003, 12 (illus.), 13, 44 (colour illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Australian watercolours 1880s to 1990s, 'Introduction: Painting in watercolour', pg. 8-16, Sydney, 1995, 13, 60 (colour illus.), 120. cat.no. 49
Hendrik Kolenberg, Twentieth century Australian watercolours from the collection, Sydney, 1989. cat.no. 10
Peter Raissis, William Dobell - the painter's progress, 'London: life and portraits', pg. 32-72, Sydney, 1997, 50, 52 (colour illus.). cat.no. 12b
Author Unknown, William Dobell: the painters progress, Sydney, 1997, illus..
Other works by William Dobell
See all 1130 works