H Roach & Co
active Australia 1860–90s -
H Roach and Co was a photographic firm based in Melbourne.
A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.
carte de visite
6.1 x 9.7 cm image; 6.4 x 10.1 cm mount card
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Not on display
Shown in 1 exhibition
Referenced in 1 publication
The photograph and Australia, Sydney, Jun 2015, 250 (colour illus.).