Allan Mitelman is one of the most significant abstractionists working in Australia today. His work has been the subject of several survey exhibitions and publications, including 'Allan Mitelman, works on paper 1967-2004' at the NGV and AGNSW in 2004-05. In 2004 he won the Sulman Prize. He exhibits nationally and lives and works in Melbourne.
This work was a finalist in the 2006 Dobell Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 2006.
collage of hymnal page fragments, ink, gouache, wash on two joined sheets of paper
146.0 x 103.0 cm sheet; 161.5 x 115.5 x 6.0 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, pen and ink "AM 06".
D G Wilson Bequest Fund 2006
Not on display
© Allan Mitelman. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
Dobell Prize for Drawing (discontinued)
Where the work was made
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 2006, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 29 Sep 2006–03 Dec 2006
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Art of parts: collage and assemblage from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 17 Sep 2016–13 Nov 2016
Referenced in 2 publications
Helen Campbell, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Other works acquired from the Dobell Prize for Drawing’ compiled, pg. 62-72, Sydney, 2012, 11, 68 (illus.), 13 (illus., detail),.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 31.