- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas
- 88.3 x 67.5 cm stretcher; 111.4 x 90.1 cm frame
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased with funds provided by the Sinclair Gillies Deaccessioning Fund and Sam Hughes Memorial Fund 1998
- Grand Courts
- Accession number
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Referenced in 5 publications
P d'Achiardi, La Collection Messinger, Unknown, 1910, pp 172–75, fig 87, illus p 173.
Connell Nisbet, Look, 'Acquisitive minds', Sydney, Dec 2003-Jan 2004, pp 23–27: col illus p 24.
Luuk Pijl, Dutch and Flemish Old Master Paintings, 'No 10 – Paul Bril – A wooded landscape with a bridge and sportsmen at the edge of the river', London, 1997, no 10, col illus np.
Susan Russell, "His great genius was to make landscapes". The roman years of Herman van Swanevelt (c1603–1655). Papers of the Royal Netherlands Institute in Rome. Vol 67, Rome, 2019, p 25, col illus p 25.
Art Gallery of New South Wales annual report 1999, 'Collections: European Art Before 1900', Sydney, 1999, pp 20–21: p 21.
The provenance of this work is under review and records will be updated as new details become available. The Gallery welcomes any information. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Private Collection, 1748, Italy, unidentified 18th century Italian collection (label verso)
Otto E Messinger, circa 1910, Rome/Italy, in the collection of Messinger by 1910, see 'La Collection Messinger' by P d'Achiardi, 1910, plate no. 87
Rudolph Lepke's Kunst-Auctions-Haus, 12 Nov 1918, Berlin/Germany, Anonymous sale, no.55 (with pendant).
Galerie Krinzinger, 02 Apr 1932, Düsseldorf/Germany, Anonymous sale. 'Gemälde alter und neuer Meister aus Privatbesitz', lot.no.11 as 'Romantische Landschaft mit Jagdszene'
Abels Brothers, 1935, Cologne/North Rhine-Westphalia/Germany, [dealer]
Private Collection, pre 1997, Austria
Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienna, 1997-Aug 1998, Vienna/Austria, Purchased by Galerie Sanct Lucas from an Austrian Noble Family 1997.
Johnny Van Haeften Ltd, 1997-Aug 1998, London/England, Purchased by the AGNSW from Johnny Van Haeften Ltd 1998. Johnny Van Haeften Ltd owned the painting in partnership with Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienna.