- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media category
- Materials used
- charcoal on white wove paper
- 106.0 x 75.3 cm sheet ; 121.5 x 90.0 x 4.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Purchased with funds provided by the Art Gallery Society of New South Wales 2000
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Sallie Moffatt
- Dobell Prize for Drawing
- - 2000
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Sallie Moffatt studied at the National Art School from 1995-1997 and was selected for inclusion in the Portia Geach Portrait Prize and the Mornington Peninsula National Works on Paper Award in 1999 (and as a result a drawing was acquired for the collection via the Beleura-Tallis Foundation). She was also a finalist for the Brett Whiteley Travelling Scholarship in 1999.
Sallie Moffatt finds all her subject matter by looking out the window of her home in an upstairs apartment of a building in a lane off Elizabeth Street, near Central Station. High-rise buildings in juxtaposition with terraces, a railway bridge or lamp post, in varying tones using charcoal, from rubbed-in grey to black to create the smoky light of the city precinct of Sydney have become her forté.
This drawing was amongst the handful of outstanding inclusions in the Dobell Drawing Prize 2000 held at the Art Gallery of New South Wales. This work was acquired by the Gallery in 2000.
Where the work was made
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 2000, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 18 Mar 2000–07 May 2000
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 5 publications
Helen Campbell, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Other works acquired from the Dobell Prize for Drawing’ compiled, pg. 62-72, Sydney, 2012, 11, 69 (illus.), 76.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 31.
Hendrik Kolenberg, The Dobell Prize for Drawing: 1993-2004, ‘Introduction’, pg. 8-9, Sydney, 2004, 9, 45 (colour illus.), 53.
Anne Ryan, Look: 1953-2003 celebrating 50 years, 'Past and present: reflecting the diversity of Gallery's largest collection', pg. 54-56, Sydney, May 2003, 55.
Anne Ryan, Look, ‘Paper collection’, pg. 12-13, Melbourne, Jul 2001, 12-13 (colour illus.).
Other works by Sallie Moffatt
See more works