- Media category
- Materials used
- woodblock print; black ink on heavy white Japanese Hitachi paper
- Hors Commerce
- 45.0 x 59.5 cm blockmark; 84.0 x 63.6 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed beneath the printed image l.r. corner, pencil "Zofrea". Not dated.
- Gift of the artist 2002
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Salvatore Zofrea/Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
The Appassionata series is the most detailed account of the principal experiences in the life of Salvatore Zofrea, focusing on his birth and early life in Borgia, Southern Italy, his migration to Australia, his travels, maturation as an artist, family, personal relationships and friends.
Zofrea is one of the finest exponents of woodcut in Australia. His work as a painter and printmaker is inextricably linked - his woodcut prints have been influenced by his work as a painter especially in the richness of their texture, composition and ambition, as has his painting by his activity as a printmaker - his paintings have become simpler in expression and design since he has been making woodcuts.
The series is in an edition of 14 with 6 artist's proofs, four of which are on Japanese paper textured by the wooden boards on which the paper is dried after couching.
Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2002
Shown in 1 exhibition
Salvatore Zofrea 'Appassionata': one hundred woodcuts:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 29 Mar 2000–08 May 2000
- Migration Museum, Adelaide 11 Sep 2000–06 Jan 2001
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 02 Feb 2001–21 Mar 2001
- John Curtin Gallery, Bentley 06 Apr 2001–27 May 2001
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 07 Jun 2001–15 Jul 2001
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 30 Aug 2001–28 Oct 2001
- Penrith Regional Gallery & The Lewers Bequest, Emu Plains 01 Dec 2001–03 Feb 2002
Referenced in 1 publication
Hendrik Kolenberg and Anne Ryan, Salvatore Zofrea: Appassionata woodcuts, 'The artist's commentaries', pg. 16-45, Sydney, 2000, 82 (illus.), 83. cat.no. 93
Other works by Salvatore Zofrea
See all 330 works