- Other Titles
- The flood; The forest
- incorrectly inscribed 1945 (1944)
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas on plywood
- 99.6 x 91.5 cm board; 104.3 x 96.4 x 3.5 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l. corner, grey oil "A Boyd 45 [sic]".
- Gift of Arthur Boyd and the Museum of Modern Art and Design of Australia 1972
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Reproduced with permission of Bundanon Trust
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 11 exhibitions
Contemporary Art Society Seventh Annual Interstate Exhibition (1945), Contemporary Art Society (New South Wales), 09 Nov 1945–29 Nov 1945
Arthur Boyd (1953), Peter Bray Gallery, Melbourne, 15 Sep 1953–24 Sep 1953
Rebels and precursors: aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-1947 (1962):
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne Aug 1962–Sep 1962
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Sep 1962–21 Oct 1962
Aspects of Australian Figurative Painting 1942-1962: Dreams, Fears and Desires (The 5th Biennale of Sydney), S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 11 Apr 1984–17 Jun 1984
Art and social commitment: an end to the city of dreams:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 27 Sep 1984–28 Oct 1984
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 15 Nov 1984–06 Jan 1985
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 24 Jan 1985–03 Mar 1985
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 26 Mar 1985–28 Apr 1985
Twentieth century Australian masterworks from the Art Gallery of New South Wales and the Fred Williams Pilbara series from the collection of CRA Limited, Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum, 04 Oct 1985–06 Nov 1985
Angry Penguins and Realist Painting in Melbourne in the 1940s:
Arthur Boyd retrospective (1993-1994):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 15 Dec 1993–06 Mar 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 30 Mar 1994–23 May 1994
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 09 Jun 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 22 Sep 1994–20 Nov 1994
The Artists of Hill End, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 29 Jul 1995–17 Sep 1995
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
WONDER + DREAD: Art in the Land of Weather Extremes, Shoalhaven City Arts Centre, Nowra, 12 Dec 2020–30 Jan 2021
Referenced in 11 publications
Christine Dixon and Terry Smith, Aspects of Australian figurative painting 1942-1962: dreams, fears and desires, Sydney, 1984, 17 (illus.).
Richard Haese, Rebels and precursors : the revolutionary years of Australian art, Ringwood, 1981, 210-211, 270.
Janet McKenzie, Arthur Boyd: Art and life, London, 2000, 42 (colour illus.), 43, 62.
Charles Merewether, Art and social commitment: an end to the city of dreams 1931-1948, Sydney, 1984, 162 (illus.).
James Mollison, Art and Australia, 'Arthur Boyd', pg. 114-123, Sydney, Sep 1965, 119 (illus.).
Barry Pearce and Patrick McCaughey, Twentieth century Australian masterworks from the Art Gallery of New South Wales and the Fred Williams Pilbara Series, Tokyo, 1985, 42 (colour illus.). cat.no. 23
Barry Pearce, Arthur Boyd retrospective, Sydney, 1993, 61 (illus. colour). Cat. no. 43
Franz Philipp, Arthur Boyd, London, 1967, 40 (colour illus.). cat.no. 2.37, plate no. XI; dated 1944
John Reed, Australian landscape painting, Victoria, 1965, 1, 19 (illus.).
John Reed and Max Harris (Editors), Angry Penguins, Melbourne, 1945, 121 (illus.). titled 'The Forest'
Rebels and precursors: Aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-47, 'This exhibition is dedicated to the late Basil Burdett, one-time art critic of the Melbourne "Herald"', pg. 3-6, Victoria, 1968, 5, 8. cat.no. 39; titled 'The Hunter' 1944; Collection of Museum of Modern Art of Australia
Other works by Arthur Boyd
See more works