This work was a finalist in the 1951 Archibald Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 1951.
oil on canvas
91.0 x 71.0 cm stretcher; 107.6 x 87.5 x 6.0 cm frame
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Marshall Bequest Fund 1951
Not on display
© Douglas Dundas Estate
Shown in 6 exhibitions
Society of Artists Jubilee exhibition (1951), Education Department Gallery [Loftus Street], Sydney, 01 Sep 1951–17 Sep 1951
A retrospective exhibition of Australian painting, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 25 Sep 1953–25 Oct 1953
Artists by artists (1954), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Nov 1954–05 Dec 1954
New South Wales Travelling Art Scholarship 1900 to 1956, National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Apr 1956 -
Douglas Dundas 1900-1981 (1982), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 29 May 1982–04 Jul 1982
An expanded vision: Mary Turner collection, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange, 27 Aug 2011–30 Oct 2011
Referenced in 4 publications
Gil Docking, Douglas Dundas 1900-1981: a retrospective exhibition of paintings and drawings, Sydney, 1982, 43 (illus.). cat.no. 48
New South Wales Society of Artists, Society of Artists Jubilee exhibition, Sydney, 1951. cat.no. 41
Ann Proudfoot (Curator), An expanded view: the Mary Turner Collection at Orange Regional Gallery, 'List of works', pg. 117-124, Orange, 2011, 118.
Tony Tuckson, New South Wales Travelling Art Scholarship 1900 to 1956, Sydney, 1956, 8. cat.no. 8