(Thailand – )
20.5 cm diam.
The northern Thai kilns of Kalong lie in the valley of Vieng Papao to the west of Chiang Mai, which was the capital of the Lan Na kingdom. Whilst the various kilns of northern Thailand are usually described within the context of the Lan Na kingdom, their regional styles did not conform to an imperial standard.
Unlike the Sukhothai and Sawankhalok kilns further south which exported wares to maritime Southeast Asia, Lan Na wares were made to support a large domestic market. They were probably also traded with commercial centres to the north like Vientiane in Laos. It is probable that all northern kilns ceased production around 1558 when the city of Chiang Mai was sacked by the Burmese king Bayinnaung, who relocated artisans to principalities north of Thailand.
Asian Art Department, AGNSW, January 2014
Jane Carnegie and Chok-Dee TENG, The Jane Carnegie Collection, Melbourne, 1988, 17 (illus.). lot 94
Jackie Menzies and Edmund Capon, Asian Collection Handbook, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'South-East Asian Art', pg. 83-96, Sydney, 1990, 94 (illus.).
Jackie Menzies (Editor), The Asian Collections Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2003, 331 (colour illus.).