Salvator Glen, Hobart, Tasmania
John Skinner Prout
19 Dec 1805 - 29 Sep 1876
With splendid view of Hobart and the Derwent, Salvator Glen was named by George Frankland (1797?-38), Surveyor-General of Tasmania and an amateur artist, after the seventeenth century romantic Italian painter Salvator Rosa (1614-73), much admired in the nineteenth century. Salvator Glen is at the top end of what is now Salvator Road, West Hobart. There are watercolours by Francis Simpkinson of the same subject, inscribed 'Salvator Rosa's Glen', dated August and November 1845 respectively - refer to the 'Illustrated catalogue' in Max Angus' 'Simpkinson De Wesselow, landscape painter in Van Diemen's Land and the Port Phillip district' (1984) pg. 179 (50) and pg. 180 (61).
Francis Simpkinson, later Francis Simpkinson De Wesselow (1819-1906) and a number of other talented amateur painters in Hobart in the 1840s were influenced by Skinner Prout and often painted with him.
excerpt from Hendrik Kolenberg, Anne Ryan and Patricia James, '19th century Australian watercolours, drawings & pastels in the Gallery's collection', Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2005
pencil, watercolour, white gouache, gum, scraping out
22.1 x 32.4 cm sight; 42.3 x 51.1 x 4.0 cm frame
Signature & date
Not signed. Dated l.r. corner, brown watercolour ".../ 1845".
Not on display
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Purchases and Acquisitions for 1949, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 17 Dec 1949–17 Feb 1950
Nineteenth century Australian watercolours from the collection (1991), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Apr 1991–07 Jul 1991
19th century Australian watercolours, drawings & pastels, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Apr 2005–24 Jul 2005
Referenced in 2 publications
Hendrik Kolenberg, Anne Ryan and Patricia James, 19th century Australian watercolours, drawing and pastels from the Gallery's collection, Sydney, 2005, 44 (colour illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Nineteenth century Australian watercolours from the collection, Sydney, 1991. cat.no. 63