oil on canvas on hardboard
61.0 x 50.5 cm board; 77.8 x 67.7 x 6.1 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed u.r. corner, black oil "W. DOBELL". Not dated.
Edward Stinson Bequest Fund 1994
Not on display
© Courtesy Sir William Dobell Art Foundation.
Where the work was made
Shown in 2 exhibitions
William Dobell the painter's progress (1997-1998):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Feb 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle 07 May 1997–06 Jul 1997
- Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Bulleen 29 Jul 1997–21 Sep 1997
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 25 Oct 1997–07 Dec 1997
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 08 Jan 1998–01 Mar 1998
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Referenced in 2 publications
Giles Auty, The Weekend Australian, 'Reflections on a nation's image', pg. 4, Sydney, 12 Aug 2000-13 Aug 2000, 4 (colour illus.). This colour supplement is a 'Review Special' published for the 'Weekend Australian'. It consists of a four-page, colour wrap-around for the 'Weekend Australian Review'. 'The Australian' was the media sponsor for the AGNSW Exhibition 'Australian Icons', for the Olympic Arts Festival 2000.
Peter Raissis, William Dobell, 'London: life and portraits', pg. 32-72, London, 1964, 32, 42 (colour illus.), 144. cat.no. 7