Artist #47 (Debra Phillips), from the series Artists
14 May 1957 -
As part of a generation of Australian women artists who came to the fore in the early 1980s, Anne Zahalka’s practice has always been concerned with questioning dominant myths and cultural constructs. The broad sweep of Zahalka’s oeuvre has often been underpinned by a common strategy: the world in her images appears as theatre where place, gender and national identity are questioned.
With the ongoing series ‘Artists’, Zahalka turns her critical lens upon the creative process and the myth of the artist as hero. Each figure in the more than 25 portraits completed so far is a noted contemporary practitioner and Zahalka has shown them in clever set-ups that hint at or proclaim who they are. The artful and performative nature of ‘Artist #47 (Debra Phillips)’ conveys a self-reflexive play on notions of artistic ‘genius’. Numbered like a prototype inventory these collaborative portraits can appear ironic. In Zahalka’s self portrait, ‘Artist #33’, there is also delight and creative potential in play-acting with a stereotype which is being unmasked.
Artist proof from an edition of 10 + 2 APs
85.5 x 85.0 cm image (sight); 90.0 x 89.0 x 3.7 cm frame
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Gift of the artist 2011. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
Not on display
© Anne Zahalka. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
Shown in 3 exhibitions
8th Biennale of Sydney 1990. The readymade boomerang. Certain relations in 20th century art., Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 11 Apr 1990–03 Jun 1990
Anne Zahalka: artists:
- City Gallery, Melbourne 30 May 1990–30 Jun 1990
- Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, South Bank 05 Jul 1991–04 Aug 1991
Hall of mirrors: Anne Zahalka, portraits 1987-2007:
- Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne 13 Mar 2007–12 May 2007
- Warrnambool Art Gallery, Warrnambool 15 Sep 2007–28 Oct 2007
- National Portrait Gallery [Parliamentary Zone], Canberra 23 Nov 2007–31 Mar 2008
- Ipswich Art Gallery, Ipswich 17 May 2008–27 Jul 2008
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 29 Aug 2008–12 Oct 2008
- Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre 06 Dec 2008–01 Feb 2009
- Artspace Mackay, Queensland 06 Feb 2009–22 Mar 2009
- Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville 24 Apr 2009–21 Jun 2009
- Riddoch Art Gallery, Mt Gambier 04 Jul 2009–02 Aug 2009
- Wangaratta Exhibitions Gallery, Wangaratta 26 Sep 2009–25 Oct 2009
- Devonport Regional Gallery, Devonport 06 Nov 2009–31 Dec 2009
- Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale 30 Jan 2010–28 Feb 2010
Referenced in 1 publication
Centre for Contemporary Photography, Hall of mirrors: Anne Zahalka portraits 1987-2007, 2007, (illus.).