A surveyor's camp
Australia, England, Australia
08 Apr 1867 - 01 Sep 1943
Arthur Streeton's ability to create a convincing sensation of Australian space and light in his paintings sets him apart from most of his contemporaries. His early success in Sydney, particularly following the purchase of his painting 'Still glides the stream and shall for ever glide' by the Art Gallery of New South Wales in 1890, encouraged him to eventually settle in Sydney in 1892.
Streeton was attracted by the coastal and harbour landscapes of the city and he travelled further afield, visiting the Blue Mountains and the Hawkesbury River region to the north west, in search of subjects. It is thought that this watercolour was painted while Streeton was with George Pitt on a surveying expedition to Richmond, near the Hawkesbury, in 1896.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2004
36.3 x 62.8 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l. corner, black watercolour "A STREETon/ 1896".
Not on display
Where the work was made
Shown in 18 exhibitions
Society of Artists Spring Exhibition (1896), Cliff Gallery, Sydney, 05 Sep 1896 -
Streeton's Sydney sunshine exhibition (1896), Exhibition Venue Unknown, 30 Nov 1896 -
Exhibition of Australian art in London (1898), Grafton Galleries, London, 02 Apr 1898–31 Jul 1898
Loan exhibition of the works of Arthur Streeton, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 20 Nov 1931–20 Jan 1932
150 years of Australian art (1938), National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 27 Jan 1938–25 Apr 1938
Art of Australia 1788-1941:
- National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. 01 Oct 1941–26 Oct 1941
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York 17 Nov 1941–31 Dec 1941
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ottawa 15 Jan 1942–15 Feb 1942
- Yale University Art Gallery, United States of America 02 Mar 1942–23 Mar 1942
- Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh 03 Apr 1942–15 May 1942
- Wilmington Society of Fine Arts, Wilmington 01 Jun 1942–27 Jun 1942
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, United States of America 10 Jul 1942–27 Aug 1942
- Toledo Museum of Art, United States of America 06 Sep 1942–27 Sep 1942
- Rochester Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester 05 Oct 1942–02 Nov 1942
- Cleveland Museum of Art, United States of America 09 Nov 1942–07 Dec 1942
- Detroit Institiute of Arts, Detroit 01 Jan 1943–29 Jan 1943
- The Art Gallery of Toronto, Toronto 05 Feb 1943–28 Feb 1943
- Art Association of Montreal, Montreal 07 Mar 1943–28 Mar 1943
- Herron Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indianapolis 08 Apr 1943–05 May 1943
- Fort Wayne Art School and Museum, Fort Wayne 12 May 1943–31 May 1943
- Rockhill Nelson Gallery, Kansas City 07 Sep 1943–08 Oct 1943
- Philbrook Art Museum, Tulsa 20 Oct 1943–17 Nov 1943
- Museum of Fine Arts, Dallas, Dallas 28 Nov 1943–26 Dec 1943
- Abilene Museum of Fine Arts, Abilene 10 Jan 1944–07 Feb 1944
- Heard Museum, Phoenix Fine Arts Association, Phoenix 21 Feb 1944–20 Mar 1944
- San Francisco Museum of Art, San Francisco 04 Apr 1944–07 May 1944
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Oriental Museum, San Jose 19 May 1944–16 Jun 1944
- Hamline University, St Paul 01 Dec 1944–17 Dec 1944
- Society Liberal Arts, Joslyn Memorial, Omaha 06 Jan 1945–27 Jan 1945
- Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, United States of America 06 Feb 1945–27 Feb 1945
- Quincy Art Club, Quincy 09 Mar 1945–30 Mar 1945
- Oklahoma Art Center, Oklahoma City 13 Apr 1945–04 May 1945
- University of Oklahoma, Norman 14 May 1945–04 Jun 1945
- North Texas State Teachers' College, Denton 14 Jun 1945–05 Jul 1945
Australian watercolours from the National Art Gallery collection 1836-1946, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 24 May 1946–Jun 1946
100 years of Australian painting (1948), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Apr 1948–17 May 1948
An historical survey of Australian watercolour painting:
- Katoomba Town Hall, Katoomba 06 Mar 1951–20 Mar 1951
- Lithgow Council Chambers, Lithgow 03 Apr 1951–17 Apr 1951
- Cowra Town Hall, Cowra 22 May 1951–05 Jun 1951
- Grenfell Council Chambers, Grenfell 19 Jun 1951–03 Jul 1951
- Young Public Library, Young 14 Aug 1951–28 Aug 1951
- Cootamundra Council Chambers, Cootamundra 18 Sep 1951–02 Oct 1951
- Wagga Wagga Council Chambers, Wagga Wagga 20 Oct 1951–30 Oct 1951
Australian images: Prints, drawings and watercolours from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 22 Dec 1979–28 Jan 1980
Australian arcady: landscape paintings from the collection of the the Art Galery of New South Wales:
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 21 Apr 1983–22 May 1983
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 27 May 1983–19 Jun 1983
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Australia 25 Jun 1983–22 Jul 1983
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Aug 1983–30 Sep 1983
Australische impressionen, Landschaftsmalerei aus hundert Jahren - die 'Heidelberg school' ihre Vorlaufer und ihre Nachfolger, Schloss Heidelberg, 30 Aug 1987–31 Oct 1987
Nineteenth century Australian watercolours from the collection (1991), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Apr 1991–07 Jul 1991
Two hundred years of Australian painting : Nature, people and art in the southern continent:
Australian watercolours 1880s to 1990s:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 08 Dec 1995–12 Feb 1996
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 11 Oct 1996–24 Nov 1996
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
19th century Australian watercolours, drawings & pastels, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Apr 2005–24 Jul 2005
Referenced in 24 publications
Art Gallery of New South Wales, Art from Australia: 2016 calender, Sydney, 2015, n.apg. (colour illus.). month of January
Jane de Teliga, Australian images: Prints, drawings and watercolours from the collection, Sydney, 1979, 9.
D.H.Souter, Art and architecture: the journal of the Institute of Architects of New South Wales, 'Arthur Streeton, artist and his Australian work', pg. 225-229, Sydney, 1905, 229.
Mary Eagle, The oil paintings of Arthur Streeton in the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, 1994, 202.
Ann Galbally, Arthur Streeton, 'Sydney: 1890-1897', pg. 20-31, Melbourne, 1969, 26 (illus.), 81. plate no. 12, plate no. 74
Hans Gercke (Editor), Australische Impressionen: Landschaftsmalerei aus hundert Jahren - die 'Heidelberg school' ihre Vorlaufer und ihre Nachfolger, Heidelberg, 1987, 119. cat.no. 47
Bruce James, Art Gallery of New South Wales handbook, 'Australian Collection: Works on Paper', pg. 182-197, Sydney, 1999, 189 (colour illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Australian watercolours 1880s to 1990s, Sydney, 1995, 25 (colour illus.), 115. cat.no. 10
Hendrik Kolenberg, Anne Ryan and Patricia James, 19th century Australian watercolours, drawing and pastels from the Gallery's collection, Sydney, 2005, 102, 103 (colour illus.).
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'Australian images from the past: whether rarely seen or familiar, these works move and delight us', pg. 24-27, Sydney, Apr 2005, 26.
Lionel Lindsay, 150 years of Australian art, Sydney, 1938. cat.no. 353
Barry Pearce and Haruo Arikawa, Two hundred years of Australian painting: nature, people and art in the southern continent, Tokyo, 1992, 79 (colour illus.). cat.no. 34
Ursula Prunster, Australian arcady: Landscape paintings from the Art Gallery of New South Wales collection, Sydney, 1983. cat.no. 14
Bernard Smith, 100 years of Australian painting, 'Foreword', pg. 2-4, Sydney, 1948, 13. watercolours cat.no. 10
Geoffrey Smith, Arthur Streeton, 1867-1943, ''City of laughing loveliness! Sun-girdled Queen!' Sydney 1890-97', pg. 67-130, South Yarra, 1995, 120, 121 (colour illus.). cat.no. 51
Arthur Streeton, The Arthur Streeton catalogue, Melbourne, 1935, 117. cat.no. 166
David Thomas, Deutscher and Hackett fine art auction: Sydney 28 August 2013, 'Arthur Streeton', pg. 74-75, Melbourne, Aug 2013, 74.
Trustees of the National Art Gallery of New South Wales, Australian watercolours from the National Art Gallery collection 1836 to 1946, Sydney, 1946, 4-5, 9. cat.no. 13
Sydney Ure Smith, Bertram Stevens and Charles Lloyd Jones (Editors), The art of Arthur Streeton, Sydney, 1919, (colour illus.). plate no. XI
Sydney Ure Smith (Editor), Art of Australia 1788-1941, New York, 1941, 35. cat.no. 43
Editor Unknown (Editor), Sydney mail and New South Wales advertiser, Sydney, 19 Sep 1896, 596, 603 (illus.).
Editor Unknown, Sydney mail and New South Wales advertiser, Sydney, 12 Sep 1896, 537.
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney, 05 Sep 1896, 7.
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney, 04 Sep 1896, 4.