Skip to content

Collection

An image of The Holy Family with St Catherine, St John and an angel by Jacques Bellange
Alternate image of The Holy Family with St Catherine, St John and an angel by Jacques Bellange Alternate image of The Holy Family with St Catherine, St John and an angel by Jacques Bellange Alternate image of The Holy Family with St Catherine, St John and an angel by Jacques Bellange

Jacques Bellange

(France circa 1575 – 1616)

Title
The Holy Family with St Catherine, St John and an angel
Year
1612-1616
Media category
Print
Materials used
etching and engraving
Dimensions

26.6 x 18.5 cm sheet

Signature & date
Signed l.c., [incised plate] "Bellange". Not dated.
Credit
Purchased 1976
Accession number
225.1976
Location
Not on display
Further information

Bellange was the first significant figure to practice etching in France, spending most of his career as court painter to the Dukes of Lorraine at Nancy. Only few paintings can be attributed to him but his Mannerist etchings have preserved his name for posterity. The figures in this group are attenuated in proportion and twisted in posture. St Catherine of Alexandria, dressed as an oriental princess, holds the spiked wheel of her martyrdom while gazing at the Christ Child. St John the Evangelist is shown with his attribute of a chalice with a small dragon emerging from it.

Bibliography (3)

Nicholas Draffin (Curator), The bitten image: European etchings from the collection, Sydney, 1980, 5. no catalogue numbers

Nicholas Draffin, Piety and Paganism, Sydney, 1991, 13 (illus.). no catalogue numbers

Peter Raissis, Le Grand Siècle, Sydney, 1997, 2 (illus.), 3, 8. no catalogue numbers

Exhibition history (4)

The Bitten Image: European etchings from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 19 Jul 1980–14 Sep 1980

Piety and Paganism, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 13 Jul 1991–29 Sep 1991

Le Grand Siècle, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 16 Jun 1997–17 Jul 1997

Old Europe: Prints & drawings from the collection 1500-1800, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 03 Jun 2006–06 Aug 2006