oil, synthetic polymer paint on hardboard
162.2 x 120.5
Signature & date
Signed and dated bot. c., black synthetic polymer paint "Upward 60".
Not on display
© Courtesy Julie Harris
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Clement Meadmore - Peter Upward (1960), Macquarie Galleries, Sydney, 31 Aug 1960–12 Sep 1960
Australian painting today: a survey of the past ten years (1963-64):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 19 Sep 1963–20 Oct 1963
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 07 Nov 1963–08 Dec 1963
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 09 Jan 1964–09 Feb 1964
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 27 Feb 1964–29 Mar 1964
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 16 Apr 1964–17 May 1964
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 04 Jun 1964–05 Jul 1964
East of the Sun (1997), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 01 Jun 1996–17 Nov 1996
Ink: Whiteley and others (2006), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 29 Apr 2006–20 Aug 2006
Frozen gestures: the art and philosophy of Peter Upward, Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains, 20 Oct 2007–02 Dec 2007
Referenced in 6 publications
Jonathan Cooper (Editor), The Art Gallery of New South Wales Bulletin, 'Brett Whiteley Studio - East of the Sun', pg. 30-31, Sydney, Aug 1996-Oct 1996, 30 (colour illus.).
Christopher Heathcote, Encounters with Australian modern art, 'Reconstruction culture 1945-1962', pg. 9-56, South Yarra, 2008, 52, 53 (colour illus.), 54. NOTE: Related work reproduced: titled 'Untitled' 1960, TarraWarra Museum of Art.
Robert Hughes., Australian painting today: a survey of the past ten years, 'Introduction', Brisbane, 1963, (illus.). cat.no. 75; Lent by Rudy Komon Gallery, Sydney; not paginated.
Robert Raymond, 52 views of Rudy Komon, Sydney, 1999, 164.
INK: Whiteley and Others, Sydney, 2006. List of works
East of the Sun, Sydney, 1997. List of works