Study for 'Giluwe'
24 Sep 1899 - 13 May 1970
oil on board
22.7 x 18.6 cm sight; 45.0 x 41.0 x 5.7 cm frame (irreg.)
Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, green oil "DOBELL". Not dated.
Bequest of Mollie and Jim Gowing 2011
Not on display
© Courtesy Sir William Dobell Art Foundation
Shown in 3 exhibitions
William Dobell (1954), David Jones' Art Gallery, Sydney, Sydney, 27 Jan 1954–17 Feb 1954
William Dobell the painter's progress (1997-1998):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Feb 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle 07 May 1997–06 Jul 1997
- Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Bulleen 29 Jul 1997–21 Sep 1997
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 25 Oct 1997–07 Dec 1997
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 08 Jan 1998–01 Mar 1998
Painter in Paradise: William Dobell in New Guinea:
Referenced in 3 publications
David Jones' Art Gallery, Sydney, William Dobell, Sydney, 1954. cat.no. 18; titled 'Giluwa (Study)'; priced 189 guineas
John McDonald, The Sydney Morning Herald, 'Paradise lost', pg. 16-17, Sydney, 04 Jul 2015-05 Jul 2015, 16, 17 (colour illus.). Review of the exhibition 'Painter in paradise: William Dobell in New Guinea'. Incorrect caption given for this work, 'Giluwe'.
Barry Pearce, Hendrik Kolenberg, Peter Raissis, Prue Davidson and Edmund Capon, William Dobell - the painter's progress, Sydney, 1997, 107 (illus.). cat.no. 35b