Study for Dame Mary Gilmore
24 Sep 1899 - 13 May 1970
pen and blue-black ink
12.6 x 9.7 cm
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Gift of the Trustees of the Sir William Dobell Art Foundation 1984
Not on display
© Courtesy Sir William Dobell Art Foundation.
Shown in 4 exhibitions
William Dobell the painter's progress (1997-1998):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 14 Feb 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle 07 May 1997–06 Jul 1997
- Museum of Modern Art at Heide, Bulleen 29 Jul 1997–21 Sep 1997
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 25 Oct 1997–07 Dec 1997
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 08 Jan 1998–01 Mar 1998
The possibilities of Portraiture, National Portrait Gallery [Old Parliament House], Canberra, 04 Mar 1999–20 Jun 1999
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Kings Cross - Bohemian Sydney, Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Bay, 31 May 2003–21 Sep 2003
Referenced in 3 publications
Prue Davidson, William Dobell - the painter's progress, 'The later years', pg. 110-133, Sydney, 1997, 114 (colour illus.). cat.no. 39c
Barry Pearce, Look, 'William Dobell (1899-1970) The Painter's Progress', pg. 12-13, Heidelberg, Feb 1997, 14 (illus.).
Author Unknown, William Dobell: the painters progress, Sydney, 1997, illus..