oil on canvas
91.8 x 137.4 cm stretcher; 110.0 x 155.1 x 3.4 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, black (oil?) "S.Herman.81".
Gift of the artist 1981
Not on display
© Sali Herman Estate
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Sali Herman retrospective:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 01 Jul 1981–26 Jul 1981
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Australia Feb 1982–Mar 1982
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle 09 Oct 1991–02 Nov 1991
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston
- Museum and Art Galleries of the Northern Territory, Darwin
- Albury Regional Gallery, Albury
- Bendigo Art Gallery, Victoria
Twentieth century Australian masterworks from the Art Gallery of New South Wales and the Fred Williams Pilbara series from the collection of CRA Limited, Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum, 04 Oct 1985–06 Nov 1985
Swiss artists in Australia 1777-1991:
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 18 Jan 1991–10 Mar 1991
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 28 Mar 1991–28 Apr 1991
- Brisbane City Gallery, Brisbane 04 May 1991–09 Jun 1991
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Australia 21 Jun 1991–04 Aug 1991
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 18 Aug 1991–29 Sep 1991
Favourites: Margaret Olley and Barry Humphries choose from Australian collections (2000), S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney, 15 Jan 2000–27 Feb 2000
Harbourlife: Sydney Harbour from the 1940s to recent times:
Referenced in 11 publications
Bettina Boss, The Swiss in New South Wales: a history, 'Three generations of painters: the Herman family', pg. 95, Sydney, 2012, 95 (colour illus.).
Helen Campbell, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Out of Sydney: city and hinterlands', pg. 185-186, Sydney, 2000, 186, 194, 195 (colour illus., detail), 300.
Edmund Capon and Jan Meek (Editors), Portrait of a Gallery, 'Australian 20th Century Art', pg. 71-89, Sydney, 1984, 82 (colour illus.).
Ewen McDonald, The Art Gallery of New South Wales collections, 'From Colonialism to late Modernism', pg. 7-106, Sydney, 1994, 65 (colour illus.).
Margaret Olley and Barry Humphries, Favourites: Margaret Olley and Barry Humphries choose from public and private collections, Sydney, 2000. Catalogue entry appears in inserted list to printed catalogue: Selections by Barry Humphries
Barry Pearce, Sali Herman, 'Introduction', pg. 6-13, Sydney, 1981, frontispiece (colour illus.), 12, 86. cat.no. 107
Barry Pearce, Swiss artists in Australia 1777-1991, 'Sali Herman', pg. 67-84, Sydney, 1991, 83 (colour illus.), 111. cat.no. 61
Barry Pearce, Art Gallery of New South Wales handbook, 'Australian', pg. 13-35, Sydney, 1988, 29 (illus.).
Barry Pearce and Patrick McCaughey, Twentieth century Australian masterworks from the Art Gallery of New South Wales and the Fred Williams Pilbara Series, Tokyo, 1985, 29 (colour illus.). cat.no. 12
Barry Pearce, Three years on: a selection of acquisitions 1978-1981, 'Australian Art', pg. 5-26, Sydney, 1981, 6.
Gavin Wilson, Harbourlife, 'harbourlife', pg. 7-32, Sydney, 2007, 55, 8, 13 (colour illus.).