Modernist Classics Music CD : The Masterpieces Collection
ABC Classics with the Art Gallery of NSW | ISBN 0602557615685
Part of the The Masterpieces Collection series.
Usually ships within 2–11 business days.
--- PRE-ORDER NOW FOR SHIPMENT AFTER RELEASE ON 26 MAY 2017 ---
From Debussy and Ravel to Stravinsky and John Cage, the 20th century opened new worlds of musical colour and texture and brought new understandings of how music could speak to us.
Music by Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Ives, Holst, Vaughan Williams, Britten and Berio.
Art by Margaret Preston and Grace Cossington Smith.
Timeless art and great music: ABC Classics and the Art Gallery of New South Wales present a new collection of albums bringing together culture from through the ages. From nineteenth-century visions of grandeur in Epic Classics to the sacred tradition in Divine Classics, and from Australia’s own artistic heritage to the world of the Modernists, these albums provide rich insights by bringing art and music together.
Previous collaborations between ABC and AGNSW include music audio-guides for the blockbuster exhibitions The Greats, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, and Nude: art from the Tate collection with the acclaimed Nude Live performances in collaboration with the Sydney Dance Company and the Sydney Festival.
1. DEBUSSY Prelude to ‘The Afternoon of a Faun’
2. RAVEL String Quartet: II. Assez vif, très rythmé
3. SCHOENBERG Farben (Colours): Summer Morning by a Lake
4-7. STRAVINSKY The Rite of Spring – Excerpts
8. IVES The Housatonic at Stockbridge from Three Places in New England
9. HOLST Mars, the Bringer of War from The Planets
10. VAUGHAN WILLIAMS The Lark Ascending – Excerpt
11. AGNEW An Autumn Morning
12. CAGE Amores: III. Trio for Percussion
13. BARTÓK Concerto for Orchestra: IV. Intermezzo interrotto
14. BRITTEN Four Sea Interludes: I. Dawn
15. DALLAPICCOLA Piccola Musica Notturna
16. BERIO Erdenklavier (Earth Piano)
17. BANKS Four Pieces for String Quartet: II. Allegro