Art Gallery of NSW administration archive
The Art Gallery of NSW archive holds the administrative records of the Gallery from the 1870s to the present day. These can be grouped in the following categories:
- The Trust – includes minutes, reports, resolutions, etc
- The Directorate – includes appointment records and director reports and papers
- Correspondence – includes government, foreign, general and acquisition correspondence
- Finance and administration – includes ledgers, cash books, insurance records, sale books, audit records, etc
- Visitors – includes copy and visitor books
- Exhibitions – includes exhibition files, installation photographs, proposals, etc
- Prizes and scholarships – includes the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes, travelling scholarships, etc
- Acquisition, registration and deaccession – includes accession registers, location registers, journals, worksheets, wills and bequests, outward and inward loan registers, copyright, deaccession registers, etc
- Conservation – includes reports, ledgers, etc
- Photographs – archival photographs of the building, collection and staff
- The building – includes architectural plans and drawings, etc
For a complete listing of each category, you’ll need to consult the three-volume guide in the library.
For more information about accessing the archive at the Gallery, see Visiting the archive.
Library and archive
Last day open in 2017: 15 December
First day open in 2018: 6 February
Open to the public
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10am–4pm
No appointment necessary
Conditions apply to accessing archive
Physical access to the library and archive for those who cannot use the stairs can be arranged with prior notice (preferably one working day): tel 02 9225 1738. Visitors with disabilities may wish to contact the Gallery’s access coordinator: tel 02 9225 1647.