Caresse de l'Astre
29 Sep 1891 - 20 May 1974
"Am sending today one package of paintings ... They are also (mostly) without titles - for they really refer (mostly) to nothing in particular - sort of soliloquies - I suppose will have to come under the heading of abstracts."
- Ian Fairweather 1959
The spiritual aspect of the Chinese aesthetic, which encompasses the idea that a finished work should 'emerge' from the sheet, impressed Fairweather profoundly, and directed his method of making pictures.
'Caresse de l'astre' was painted at Bribie Island off the coast of Brisbane, where Fairweather settled permanently in 1953. Around the middle of the decade, his work began to evolve from clear figuration to being almost completely abstract by 1959-60.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2000
gouache on hardboard
73.6 x 97.8 cm board; 82.8 x 108.0 x 6.3 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner with monogram, black gouache "IF". Not dated.
Not on display
© Ian Fairweather/DACS. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
Where the work was made
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition (1965-1966):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 03 Jun 1965–04 Jul 1965
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 21 Jul 1965–22 Aug 1965
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 09 Sep 1965–10 Oct 1965
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 26 Oct 1965–21 Nov 1965
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 09 Dec 1965–16 Jan 1966
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 10 Feb 1966–13 Mar 1966
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 01 Oct 1994–27 Nov 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 17 Dec 1994–19 Feb 1995
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 22 Mar 1995–07 May 1995
Referenced in 6 publications
Ian Fairweather, 'The necessity of movement', pg. 130-140, Sydney, 2009, 138 (colour illus.), 256. plate no. 119; cat.no. 160
S.A. Parker Framing Works, 'Works in the collection with known Parker frames', pg. 27-68, Sydney, 2004, 68 (illus.).
Fairweather, Australia, 1994, 109 (colour illus.), 143. plate no. 37
Art Gallery of New South Wales picturebook, Sydney, 1972, 122 (colour illus.).
Art Gallery of New South Wales Quarterly, Sydney, Jul 1965, 244.
Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition, South Brisbane, Jun 1965. cat.no. 38; not paginated