The porcelain body is the light, off-white Böttger paste in use before c1725. Figures of this type (known at the time as ‘Pagods’) were among the first figures produced at Meissen, imitating oriental originals in the collection of Augustus the Strong. The mouth and ears are pierced, permitting the figure to be used as an incense burner. The blue and green enamels on this example are similar to those developed in the Dresden workshop of Johann Georg Funcke in the period before 1720 and it seems plausible that the decoration was applied in this workshop.
Referenced in 2 publications
Josephine Touma, Look, 'Porcelain's powerful potential', pg.32-33, Sydney, Nov 2012, 32 (colour illus.).
Eighteenth - Century European Porcelain in the Kenneth Reed collection, Sydney, 2012, 24 (colour illus.). cat.no. 17